Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivanpasic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
This is going to be hard to explain but has anyone noticed a bug on macOS Sonoma 14.3 where text gets duplicated while typing a message in Mac Mail? I have a feeling this is related to predictive typing feature although I am not sure. I have a 16-inch MacBook Pro at home and a 15-inch MacBook Air at work and it's happening on both computers. As I type text in Mac Mail parts of my paragraph become duplicated as a hit space then disappear as I type the next letter and this happens repeatedly. Once I wasn't paying attention and sent an email which contained duplicated paragraph. I hope this is not too confusing, hard to describe...

Reactions: alexjohnson

Hyperman99

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2023
yes I have had it happen a few times. Will take a screen print next time it occurs. In fact it happened to me yesterday. What I did wassave my email as a draft, close it, then reopen and all was fine. The previous times I had just cancelled that email and then restarted

Reactions: ivanpasic

ivanpasic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
I'm not sure I've experienced exactly what you're describing, but since upgrading to Sonoma 14.3 I've had the symptoms of the bug(s) described here while typing in Mac Mail:

Sounds as if your issue may be related. I too thought it might have something to do with predictive text, but I have the feature disabled.
Thanks, sounds very similar to what I am experiencing and if you look down through some of the comments, other users are experiencing exactly what is happening to me.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 8.06.32 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 8.06.32 AM.png
    81.9 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: alexjohnson

soloact

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2015
The text wrapping display issue is definitely happening in desktop apple mail. It happened in every troubleshooting step apple support threw at me, including reinstalling the OS. My case was escalated to lead support who is now escalating it to engineering - with screen recording and system log. It's repeatable, it's happening across intel, M1, M2, M3 and laptop and desktop. The support lead even said their email was doing it.

I recommend doing what I did so engineering can see more escalated case numbers with the issue.

JUMA55

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
The text wrapping display issue is definitely happening in desktop apple mail. It happened in every troubleshooting step apple support threw at me, including reinstalling the OS. My case was escalated to lead support who is now escalating it to engineering - with screen recording and system log. It's repeatable, it's happening across intel, M1, M2, M3 and laptop and desktop. The support lead even said their email was doing it.

I recommend doing what I did so engineering can see more escalated case numbers with the issue.
I've got the problem on a new iMac M3 and a 2019 iMac Intel i9. My issue in calling Apple is the half a day I'll waste and get nowhere.

drdudj

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2021
Oregon
same problem here. in the middle of typing a paragraph, a line of text from the previous paragraph will overlay on top of another previously typed line, and if i keep typing sometimes the text will clean up, other times the current paragraph will throw in a block of spaces, or add a line from the previous paragraph. frustrating to say the least.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Predictive typing" is one of the most annoying "features" I've ever encountered.
I turned it OFF -- forever.

soloact

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2015
If people don't want to bother with 3-hour support and escalating to engineering, I'm sure whoever writes Tim Cook's emails is having the same issue. It'll likely be fixed sooner vs. later.

Until then, you can resize the window to force a re-wrap and it clears up, or reassign the rich-text/plain-text keyboard shortcut to a key, but on a longer email you could end up doing that 20 times. It's mind-boggling that Apple didn't catch this bug, especially given it's an in-house software product a lot of people use multiple times a day.

ivanpasic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013

I had considered that but to be honest I dread having to call Apple customer support. I have used Apple products for years now and find their customer support has declined over years. It takes forever to get escalated to someone who actually knows what they are doing and they often make you go through steps you’ve already tried doing on your own. I realize they are following a script but there should be an option for them to check something off if the customer said they already tried it.

For example, and this is not related to this thread but as the OP I will take the liberty to mention it, I am having issues with Microsoft Office corrupting any Office document stored in iCloud that I try to access on my iPad. I see lots of posts about this same issue and accounts of individuals calling both Apple and Microsoft tech support and being told by each company that it’s the other company’s problem. What is wrong with these big companies? Do they not just want to make their products better? Just ranting here…

alexjohnson

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2010
Exactly this! I think I've seen it since the first 14.3 PB, and it's still here in the 14.4 PB. It is particularly noticeable in Mail, but I think that's because there's more typing. I have also noticed in on webforms in Safari, and (I think) in Pages. I agree it is a Predictive / AutoCorrect bug. I did submit Feedback (FB13532143) and also copied the link for this thread: I would suggest those on the PB do the same and ideally cross-reference other feedback, such as mine, and also the URL for this thread so Apple gets a picture of a pattern rather than a edge-case weirdness. I would attach the screenshots I sent but they happen to be for a personal email, but it looks like you guys get it anyway.

But, to all of you above: thanks! Always good to know you're not just going crazy… :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.