MacMall - anyone else ordered an iPad with them recently?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MoneyBagger, Jul 30, 2010.

1. MoneyBagger macrumors newbie

I placed an order with them early last week for a 32GB Wifi+3G because one of their sales reps told me they were getting 500 shipped in from Apple today and I would get it next week.

I just chased them up now to make sure it had/would be shipped out today, and apparently Apple have delayed their shipment of iPads to MacMall until the second or third weeks of August now. The manager I spoke to told me they still had hundreds of unfulfilled orders going back to June and Apple have not delivered any iPads to them since June.

What is going on with this company? Apart from lying to customers (I really should have just taken the 7-10 business days from Apple online) - how is it possible they are not getting any shipments from Apple more than once a month???

2. Jellow macrumors newbie

Before going any further with MacMall check with the Better Business Bureau to see how they are rated. They used to have a dismal record but i haven't checked it in a few years. I have had bad luck with them in the past.

They shipped me something I didn't order, charged my credit card without my permission, tried to block me from returning it and then tried to charge me shipping both ways. A complaint I filed with the BBB got them to pull their head out of their nether region but I will never do business with them again.

YMMV

3. MoneyBagger thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I really should have done my research on them before placing an order.

Just a quick search of the forums here has shown me how bad they are. Looks like the have a pretty decent track record of lying to customers about delivery dates etc.

Annoying thing is I've ordered the iPad as a birthday gift for someone next week and they won't be getting it now. If I'd placed the order with Apple, I would have got it a few days after their birthday, but at least I would have it!

4. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Over the last four years, I've purchased an iMac, MacBook and MacBook Pro from them w/o major issue. The only issue I had was the promise of free shipping on an order that was not done.

I doubt they will take your money.

5. prot0type macrumors regular

Ordered my 32gb wifi from macmall.com on june 27th and received it 2 days later. Just gave them a call and they had every version available at the time.

Ordered a case from them 3 days ago and received it yesterday as well.

No complaints here.

6. MoneyBagger thread starter macrumors newbie

I should point out that I've only looked at the previous record with delivery iPads on these forums. It's the first time I've ordered with them, but if you look back through these forums, they appear to have a very poor record so far delivering the 3G iPad models (with some people waiting well over a month).

My frustration with them is clearly their sales people are misinforming customers about when they will get their iPads. Whether this is because they are on a commission and are trying to get people to place as many orders as possible (even though they have a large backlog already) or whether Apple are genuinely delivering a very limited stock to MacMall - I'm not too sure.

I rang them up earlier just to test them and enquire about buying a 32GB WiFi + 3G. I was told they were getting a large delivery next week of 3G model from Apple and I should get it very soon. Unfortunately this proves the extent they will go to in order to get customers to place their orders.

My dilemma now is I've waited 2 weeks already - do I cancel and order with the Apple store (even though this will take around 3 weeks) or do I wait and see whether MacMall do get any stock of the 3G models?

7. wesrk macrumors 6502a

No offense mate, at all really, but you're complaining about something that MacMail had no control over, that being the shipment coming from Apple. Maybe they were lying about knowing when they would receive the iPads, but on the other hand, if they had really thought that they were getting a large shipment of iPads (because it was due, Apple told them so, or whatever) they were just telling you what they knew at the time. It's not their fault that Apple barely has enough iPads as it is, and is changing shipment schedules. You mention that maybe Apple has a weird schedule, then blame Apple not the other company.

Whatever their record here is (here at macrumors that is) that's another story since there are always more people complaining about products or services than those that praise them. Just don't take it as being official and check other sites (like someone mentioned above) for official ratings, reviews or comments, or ask openly here and take what you get with a grain of salt. You've already heard from people that have had good experiences with them before and some that have had bad experiences with them, so you know they're not as good as some claim but not as bad either.

Back to the problem at hand, maybe you can cancel your order if after you call them up, you're still not satisfied with whatever solution they give you. Other than that, I guess waiting is the only option at this point.

8. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

i never liked MacMall. Prior bad customer service experience convinced me to always buy direct from Apple.

9. MoneyBagger thread starter macrumors newbie

My point is basically - if you look through the forums here, MacMall tell customers a different story each time you speak to them. I was told they get deliveries a couple of times each week for Apple and I had no reason not to believe this. Reality is, a manager told me they have a backlog of over 200 for the iPad 3G models and have not received a shipment from Apple since June. Had the sales person I spoke to, told me this rather than fed me a load of lies, I would never have placed the order with them (obviously I would had used the Apple Store).

MacMall must know a lot more about when they are getting iPad shipments from Apple and quantities than they tell their customers. They are an authorised reseller so must have some kind of a relationship with Apple. It would be impossible for them to operate as a company if they have no idea when/how many iPads Apple are going to send them.

I guess this is just a hard lesson learnt - I should have placed the order with Apple in the first place and at least I would be able to know when I'm going to be able to give this person their birthday present.

10. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

I got my iPad from MacMall and I had to wait about a month or so. I am pleased with how fast I got my iPad after they shipped it and how I didn't have to pay sales tax - but their customer service is lacking. Yes - they are very nice on the phone - but like you say they will promise that they are going to receive a batch in and then they don't and they don't let you know anything unless you call them. I understand as being a retailer that don't have control on when they receive items as Apple determines who gets what but they have had a history of not receiving batches of iPads when they have expected them so you would think they would quit promising customers that they are definitely going to receive iPads in on a certain date when they actually don't know if they will or not.

If I were you and you wanted an iPad rather quickly I would place an order with MacMall, with Apple, and then check on your local Best Buy stock online daily. I did this and ended up getting a 64 GB 3G from Best Buy but it had a WiFi issue and I didn't really want that much memory so I returned it and a day later my 16 GB 3G shipped from MacMall. I then cancelled my Apple order.

11. wesrk macrumors 6502a

Sorry mate, I read my post and I come off as a "%"!$€£|@#¢∞#. You're right, they should know more than you and I. Did you try calling them and canceling the order or asking for a different model that they do have in stock?

12. MoneyBagger thread starter macrumors newbie

No worries - I should really have been more sceptical of what I was told and searched these forums first before placing the order.

They don't have any other models in stock at the moment so what I've done is left it as an open order and I will place an order with the Apple Store later. At least then I can cancel the other if one ships first.

13. KQbank macrumors newbie

Macmall is great

Well, I've purchased many items from macmall and with their prices and service I can assure you, I'm going back to them again.

14. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Unless they are significantly cheaper than Apple why buy from them?

15. lskeys macrumors member

i purchased my Ipad and Macbook Pro from them. The deciding factor to me was "No state or local TAXES!":D:D:D

16. r2fa3l macrumors regular

i've purchased from them before. they are really good and i recommend them personally.....