MacMall as a vendor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pretorien, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Pretorien macrumors newbie

I'm planning to buy a 15.4" MB pro. I have an Apple store about 3 miles away, a Best Buy within the same distance, have done business with B&H for years and also get daily emails from MacMall. MacMall has the best price, free shipping and has offered discounts on both Parallels and Apple Care. Adding the (state regulators don't look) lack of sales tax, I come up with about a $400 savings on the base model by forgoing the pleasure of walking out of the Apple store with prize in hand.

It seems to me to be a "no brainer" unless there is some vendor related negative.

Comments?

Thanks

2. mactumors macrumors 6502

They're a reputable company. I've used them. They called me and tried to bundle more software with mail in rebates and upsell me on stuff, and you don't get the 30 day return policy you would at an Apple store. But I imagine you're fine giving that up and dealing with some upselling for the $400 you'll save.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

At one point, MacMall wouldn't let you return a defective Apple product, if the defect was something that Apple could repair under warranty.

i.e. your new MacBook Pro arrives with a bunch of dead pixels. Instead of MacMall sending you a new MBP <and you return the old one>, they'd have you take your new one to Apple and wait for it to be repaired.

Not sure if they still require that or not.

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

I last bought a mid-2012 rMBP from MacMall after the early 2013 units came out, and also ordered a LaCie Rugged SSD, and got a great deal. Then, they upsold me a discounted copy of Parallels Desktop, and I bit.

The Mac and SSD showed up on time, but no software. My card was charged. I called and was promised the software. It didn't show up, again. A second call, and a 3rd promise - still no software...

I asked for a refund, they offered a "voucher". The voucher never arrived. I had to file a complaint through my bank, and they got the refund - 6 weeks later.

My next rMBP was happily bought from the Apple Refurbished Store, at a steep discount over the new equivilent. I didn't even consider MacMall this time, with which I'd been doing business since the mid-90s. Stay away from the upsell, you've been warned! ;)

5. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

I got my iPods from there. Never had any issues. Even had one engraved via them.

6. austinpike macrumors 6502

Had a rebate issue with them that was a bit of a pain but got worked out.

Wouldn't be at the top of my list but if they have the best price I wouldn't have a problem with buying from them. They generally seem as competent as any other online retailer.

7. katit macrumors newbie

Getting my MBPr 2015 custom (16Gb) from them. Ordered on Friday, estimated 7-9 days BO. They promptly called confirming thats it was me placed order (fraud protection). They called next day making sure I understand it's on BO and saying they expect it next Tuesday.

Today I got tracking no. It will be delivered today! So, pretty happy with speed (also I understand they drop-ship it for sure). Price was lowest since noone else sells custom configs and they don't charge sales tax..

8. K4LK macrumors 6502

K4LK

I bought my 2014 15" rMBP from them. They have an irritating shipping policy. The carrier (in my case FedEx) must hand you the box at your home. There is no such thing as "please hold at the center and I'll pick it up after work". So, I had to schedule a 5 to 8PM delivery for $5 extra. The guy showed at 4:50 PM but couldn't hand it to me until at least 5 PM. :rolleyes:

9. redneck6497 macrumors member

I have purchased lots of stuff from them, and my friends and family have too. The only thing I have had an issue with is one time my dad had to hound them about a rebate. Otherwise, good company. I also deal with one individual, so he knows me and helps me with any issues.

10. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

MacMall wouldn't process any of my orders without first calling me on the phone and confirming my card details. Other than that, they have come through with their end of the bargain, no problems.