MacMall - Beware

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sam Spade, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Sam Spade macrumors regular

Just ordered a new iMac from MacMall. After receiving the order, a woman called me regarding a "security problem" with my AmEx. Even though they are shipping the computer to the same address as the billing address, she asked me a series of ridiculous questions, some of which were completely unrelated to the "verification" process. After verifying my identity, my 3 previous address (dating back 10 years), and the credit card, I told her that I was not going to continue with this nonsense and they could either ship the computer or cancel the order. She then asked me to contact AmEx and have them add my cell phone # to my account (since that was the number I was calling from). I told her absolutely not and to cancel the order. She quickly agreed to just ship the computer.

On top of this hassle, MacMall doesn't accept ANY returns on Apple products, even though they claim to be the #1 reseller.

Take your business elsewhere.

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Sorry, you need to blame AMEX for this one.

The CC companies are paranoid as a lot of people steal the number and order stuff, like computers, online. The CC loose a lot of money with this.

It's prudent that if you are going to make such a purchase, to contact your CC first and tell them that so they can go ahead with the approval without giving the company you are buying from a hard time.

I had to do this twice already...

3. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Crazy. I've heard nothing but good things from MacMall. They've been around for many years and I agree that they are the largest reseller of Apple products.

4. Sam Spade thread starter macrumors regular

Nope. These are MacMall's shenanigans. I frequently make online purchases for amounts far greater than $1500 without any sort of problem.

Also, some of the questions were not needed for any kind of cc verification and simply none of their business.

5. Setmatch macrumors newbie

Companies sometimes want to make sure that you are the rightful cardholder. They just want to cover their bases.

6. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I can see how you might think it's MacMall but I can't imagine it being them. When someone is paying with CC retailers are willing to take money from anyone, what do they care if the number, etc is stolen? They get their money from the bank either way.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Completely and utterly wrong. If a merchant accepts a stolen card number, then Visa, MasterCard or Amex withdraw the funds from the merchant's account as soon as there is a claim on the card by the rightful cardholder - any time up to 6 months after the fact.

You didn't imaging it was the Charge Card Company that was taking the loss on the 'no fraud insurance', did you? No sir, it's the merchant that gets shafted.

8. WRXHokie macrumors regular

WRXHokie

True, but i dont think they need to know some of the things they were asking for. Where he lived for the past 10 years? I've only been asked that once, and it was for a security clearance. Credit card companies do not need that information.

9. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I can attest to that. The merchant is the one who usually pays for it in the end.
    On the subject however, the only place I was ever declined and had to contact my credit card company was at the apple store, making a return and buying a new MBP. For "my protection" I wasn't allowed to make two "electronics" purchases within a week (the first MBP, which later was returned, then the second).

10. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Really? It's not that I don't believe you but I just can't imagine businesses doing that, and banks not taking care of those things.

11. mpr131 macrumors member

Did you happen to change your address on your credit card (CC) account recently? This happened to me but it with the Apple Online Store. I recently moved and changed my address on my credit card. The next week I tried purchasing a MBP at the Apple Online Store. The purchased appeared to go through fine but the next day a customer service rep called and said there was a problem with my order. I wasn't grilled with many questions from Apple other than them stating I should contact my CC company. Not sure if this scenario applies to you but CC companies have many risk policies in effect to prevent fraud and abuse.

To address the additional point in the topic of this thread, I've also used MacMall in the past with no issues.