MacMall experiences?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by colickyboy, Dec 29, 2008.

1. colickyboy macrumors member

Has anyone bought a Mac from MacMall recently? I was about to buy one but saw something like a 25% satisfaction rating on them at resellerratings.com with many extremely dissatisfied customers. Was wondering if this is accurate or if this is a case of satisfied customers not bothering to rate the merchant b/c they're too busy enjoying their machines so only the unhappy folks are left to ding their rating?

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Often times, the people that go back to review something do so because they had a bad experience. Macmall is a good and reliable retailer, but their customer service is often very slow to communicate and solve customer problems. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them, though.

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

my friend just bought a MBP from them with no problems. You can't return stuff, but if you get a good (normal) mac then they're great.

4. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

I purchased both of my Macs through Mac Mall -- didn't have a problem either time. I'd buy through them again.

5. jon08 macrumors 65816

I've recently purchased a previous generation MBP 2.5 Ghz from MacMall and it arrived the very next day to Maryland! I love it. They seem to have the lowest prices for MBPs. I actually ordered it from Europe to my friend's address in the US, so unfortunately I wasn't eligible for the mail-in rebate, which I do regret slightly, but nevertheless, the only thing I have to complain about MacMall is perhaps at times crappy customer service and having to register over the phone if you are a Non-US customer.

6. jamoctopus macrumors newbie

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You have to remember that most people don't comment on the great experiences they have with products, they're much more likely to complain. Look at the majority of the the threads about Apple products - usually complaints.

MacMall has very good prices and seems to be of high standards in terms of selling. Most people that have their issues with MacMall result in service questions. They have been known not to have the best customer service in many regards.

With that being said - I have purchased 2 MacBook Pro's, 1 iMac, 1 MacBook amongst another $2000.00 in accessories from them without any problems and will continue to purchase from them.

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

On the other hand, lots of stores have high ratings, so it's not just disgruntled customers who post reviews.

Having said that, I don't think reselleratings.com has enough reviews to be able to come to any conclusions. MacMall has had 9 ratings in the past 9 months there. But it has a rating of 4.26/5 (ie. about 85%) from close to 1500 reviews on pricegrabber.

9. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Wait, what happens if you try to return something? Say if the screen is defective will they fix it or will they make you go to Apple?

ChrisN

10. MAG88 macrumors newbie

It's true that most complaints are bad and those are the ones you have to look at. MacMall's issue is with rebates. If you are buying from them because they're cheaper do not buy if it's due to a rebate since they seem to get "lost" in the mail. A little too shady for me.

11. colickyboy thread starter macrumors member

hm. well, that's iffy for me since i'd be doing a rebate with them... grrr....

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I've never had any problems with either of my rebates.

13. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I've bought several products from Mac Mall and PC Mall over the years. Overall, the experiences have been positive.

I did manage to get several shipping cost rebates from them, although it took awhile like every other rebate processor.

The only negative thing I would say is they don't always follow through on their ship times. In that respect, Frys and Amazon are more punctual.

Another note, it's not easy to cancel, return or make changes to an order. You have to call and speak to a sales agent. And they generally aren't quick with replying via e-mail.

14. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

I just ordered VMware from them over the weekend. It did take a few business days for them to get around to shipping it out, but otherwise no complaints.