MacMall Harassment

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tomshear, Aug 2, 2007.

1. tomshear macrumors newbie

I purchased a laptop computer from MacMall (a division of PC Mall) several months ago. After placing the order, I started getting phone calls, sometimes as early as 7 AM, from a sales rep indicating she was my 'personal account executive' and that she was calling 'just to see if there was anything else I needed'. In other words, a sales call.

I complained to her about the calls, and asked not to be contacted again. I also wrote a letter, which went unanswered, to the company themselves indicating that I did not wish to be contacted again, and that I would not be doing business with them again. The calls have not stopped desipte my request to be taken off their customer list, and when I asked the sales rep (named Veronica) to let me speak with her supervisor, she always indicated he was unavailable.

Anyway, I'm filing complaints with the FTC, BBB, etc., but just wanted to share my experience to hopefully save others from the obnoxious phone calls.

2. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

That sucks, that's why I never give out my phone number for purchases. Email works well enough if they need to contact you.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Thats really bad, seriously, what are these companies thinking?

"hey, this guy just ordered something from us, he probably thought long and hard before purchasing and got everything he wanted.... but lets barrage him with calls anyway"

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

So you wanted a reply? even though you told them not to contact you?
    :confused:

lol

5. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I don't know, maybe Veronica is sweet on you... Next time she calls ask her questions about herself. Who knows where it will lead?

6. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

7. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

macmall is a pretty shady company in general....i'll never buy anything from them again. I ordered an ibook once....NOT an open box, but a brand new one. It came with the seal broken and it had been used. Even had the users name and had been registered with apple. I contacted them and finally got to a manager telling them my problem and he said SORRY we don't take any type of return on apple equipment. I said it was used and i want a refund. He said there was no room to budge, bc they simply don't take any type of return on apple equipment. I called my bank and disputed.....next thing you know the manager called me and overnighted me a brand new one. Didn't even apologize or anything......

8. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

That's awful. I've never shopped at MacMall, and will probably never with these stories. I do most of my Apple shopping either at the Apple Online Store or MacConnection. MacConnection is one of the best and I have had no troubles with three of my big purchases which include a MBP, a MB, and an iMac.

9. n8mac macrumors 6502

I ordered ram front MacMall a long time ago. I recieved their catalog twice a month for years. I thought "what a waste of trees!"

I would recommend reading 'Consumer Reports' before making a blind computer purchase. They not only rank the computers but also stores and online stores on where to buy them. MacMall is ranked at the bottom. I can't remember who was at the top though.

You can't go wrong with Apple.com, though you won't get any freebies/deals.

10. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

hahaha yeah totally. it's not hard to know who'd be on top ;)

11. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

This is horrible. Is there a way you could block their number? I know when I was living at home my parents had to block a few numbers. You could always try that.

I am having a similar problem with a gas company. They want me to lock in my rates for 4 years at some ridiculously high rate. They show up early in the morning and late at night (like 10:30 PM!!!) asking me to lock in my rates and how they did it. They say it is stupid not to and they are very rude and pushy. They come every 2 weeks or so even though I say we're not interested.

They have been stopping in at my parents for 4 years and the funny thing is if they locked in their rates they would have ended up paying more. Pushy sales people bother me to no end.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Exactly. A cease and desist is just that. Typically by replying they'd be breaking the law.

13. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Yikes, I got worried for a minute, since I thought that was where I needed to buy my Seagate drive from...only that's PC/Mac Connection, not mall. Glad to hear they're okay.

14. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

They are just as bad, worse actually. Their prices are almost always higher.

15. Doctor X macrumors newbie

Depending on your state, you can put them on a "Don't Call List." There is also a federal list. It is their responsibility to check the list.

If, after 30 days, they call you again, you can report them and they will be prosecuted. It is like free money to the state/feds since the breaking of the law is so simple to prove. They called.

Linkypoos:

State

Federal

OR . . . you can try This [Some language may not be safe for work.--Ed.]

--J.D.

16. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Next time Veronica calls, you can ask her what she is wearing. If you know what I mean... :cool: Just drive her completely crazy

17. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

If you have another language at your disposal answer them using that. ;)

We keep getting Indians calling about some finance thing and I just have fun with them. I told them few weeks back they couldn't speak with anyone unless they could give me the person's first name because they just asked for the homeowner and they'd flounder and i'd put the phone down. They rang back the other day with a first name and when I said they couldn't speak to anyone they went 'but we got a first name like you wanted'. :rolleyes:

They liven up my day to be honest, but i'd rather not have them all the same.

Try another language if you know one, if you dont....speak gibberish.