MacMall & Leopard? Don't!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mikey.f, Oct 19, 2007.

1. mikey.f macrumors regular

I ordered my Leopard copy on MacMall ($109). They advertise that if you go with their FedEx overnight shipping option ($9.99), you will get your copy on Oct 26.

Okay, so I got this e-mail from a representative:

The reason for this delay is that the product is constrained and in great demand from the manufacturer. We are eagerly anticipating the arrival of our inventory so that we may fulfill our obligations to you, our valued customer. However we currently don’t have an update of when we are be getting this item from the manufacturer. It could take 2 weeks to get an update from them.
    ...​

Since I'm not a native English speaker, I found his e-mail rather... confusing. So I wrote back to see if what he meant was, "even though we advertise you will get Leopard on Oct 26, you will not"... And this is the response I got:

I’m afraid yes. But we are now dealing with the manufacturer to get this item ASAP from them.​

Wow... talk about false advertising. I am now wondering what I should do. I am one of those "need it the first day". (Please don't blame me. :eek: ) Any suggestions?

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

This is THEIR fault, since they should not have made that guarantee until they had secured their inventory from "the Mfgr" as in.....APPLE !

If I were you, I would call them and politely but firmly demand to speak to a customer service supervisor. Explain to him that you will now give them one of the following 2 options:

A) Ship you order FOR FREE using FedEx overnight w/ guaranteed 8:00 am delivery on whatever day they get them in (in other words, refund you the shipping fees), OR

B) Cancel your order and refund you 2x the price (if your CC has already been charged), since they have blatantly wasted your valuable time, and you will now have to waste even more of your time to order it from somewhere else.

Oh BTW, LA Computer Co. is selling Leopard for $99 plus ~$27 for overnight shipping (or $5 for regular)

lookie here: www.dealmac.com

3. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

2x the price eh? yeah..erm... good luck with that .. lol

best bet is to just get a refund and either order from elsewhere or visit an apple retailer.

oh and a polite note to the topic starter.. your in the "hardware" part of the forums.. Its bad enough seeing the same threads being repeated over in the software sections but now leopard is leaking over into hardware!!

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Well they shouldn't have charged your credit card yet....since nothing has been shipped.

I say, call them up, cancel the order. Get an email confirmation on the cancellation. Then just order from Apple for $129 with free delivery and you'll get it on the 26th.

-Kevin

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

I don't know about MacMall but Apple did charge my CC for 10.5 even though it did not ship.

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Typically most retailers won't charge the card until it ships....they might authorize it to make sure the charge will go through. Although I guess Apple is like most retailers ;)

I know my card has not been charged yet.

Now from what I've heard, most people will be charged on the 25th (when it ships to their local distribution centers).

-Kevin

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

There have been multiple issues of Macmall with false advertising. For instance, in the current issue of Macworld, the Macmall add says that they sell the 16gb ipod touch for $344. When I inquired about this, they didn't want to admit their mistake: they just wanted me to fork over $394 right there for it.

8. mikey.f thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah they did charge my CC, it's in my statement as pending anyway...

I already e-mail the guy asking how I could cancel the order...

I thought of MacMall as of one of the best resellers, but... Huh, I guess no one can be "the best".

Thanks for support and suggestions everyone!

9. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

There's a difference between false advertising and a typo. Not saying they shouldn't have to honor the price (I don't think they do, though), but there is a difference.

10. mikey.f thread starter macrumors regular

OK he canceled the order right away... I just hope I will get a refund without any hassle!

Edit while posting - he wrote me back:
    ... the amount that was charged to you is only an authorization charge which will automatically get back to your credit in 48 hours...​

Another funny thing is, I purchased iPods a few days ago, and the payment to Macmall for the iPods has disappeared from my statement. It's probably some temporary error, but it would be fun to see they actually didn't charge me for them.

11. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I don't want to sound preachy, but if this does happen and you don't let them know, then you're ripping them off just as much as they were seemingly ripping you off by charging before shipping.

12. mikey.f thread starter macrumors regular

I do agree with you! But... just some random thoughts:

What if I never paid attention to my online banking statements? Should I be responsible for errors that I clearly don't have anything to do with? I did my part, gave them my card information, submitted the form and it said OK your order is placed and paid for; from that point, should I care what they do next? Just a rhetorical question :rolleyes:

And then again, I think this is just a temporary banking error and I'm sure the money will be "re-charged".

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I agree. If you "need" it or "have" to have it on Oct. 26, you probably should just order it from Apple.

14. joeloud macrumors newbie

First post here, and I came here because I'm having the same problem. I keep telling the guy that the website still says I will receive it on October 26th if I order "today," yet ordering it last week doesn't appear to guarantee that I'll receive it on October 26th. I'm going to cancel my order and see if I can get my free T-shirt at the Apple Store on Friday.

15. mikey.f thread starter macrumors regular

I did / am going to do the same thing :cool: