Macmall Open Box. IS IT SAFE???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by libskate, Nov 5, 2011.

1. libskate macrumors member

Hi all,

I am considering buying a macmall open box imac.
    Does anyone have experience with this? Are they safe to buy?

Can you put apple care on them?

Thanks.

2. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

Good morning. I've bought two Open Box items from them. My Late 2009 iMac 2009 27" i7, and a 24" iMac. I never had an issue with either purchase or computers. I didn't have an issue with Applecare, since the models I bought were the current models.

I'll aways try to buy from them first, since the price is very attractive. I was able to get my maxed out 27" i7 for $1500.

3. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

4. tdtess macrumors newbie

Greetings libskate ! This is my first post ; I recently purchased an open box iMac from MacMall. I got a fantastic deal ; 2011 iMac 27" i5 8GB RAM 2TB HD ,wireless keyboard ,magic mouse. Open Box price $1,400. No tax & free shipping. It arrived in 3 days. The computer was immaculate, keyboard and mouse in sealed original packing.
    Now for the bad : The operating system was advertised as Lion, my paperwork had Lion specs - it came with Snow Leopard. When I called the customer service rep he was incredibly rude. I called Apple, they were wonderful ; sending a Lion thumbdrive at no cost. While on the phone with Apple Care verifying my plan ,I found out MacMall did not reset the sales date. It was originally sold in June , I bought in October and paid $169 for 3 years . They never mentioned I would lose 4 months of warranty.
    MacMall has great prices but customer service is terrible. I am thankful for Apple Service and all their help.
    Do your research, get everything in writing and enjoy your new computer.

5. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

My experience with Mac Mall's customer service has been the opposite, they have been great. I've only used them once.

6. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Me too. I bought a LCD HDTV form them a couple years back. Well needless to say, UPS destroyed it. After a few short minutes on the phone with MacMall, my new TV was on it's way to me. UPS was no help with that.