MacMall or Amazon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by PoizonIvy, Oct 26, 2011.

1. PoizonIvy macrumors newbie

I have always been a Windows user who peered curiously into the window (pun intended) of the Mac world and wondered what it would be like on the other side and I think after all this time I am ready to pull the trigger on my very first Mac purchase. I've decided to go with the 13.3, 128GB MacBook Air but now am trying to decide the best place to buy one. I am going to go with an online purchase as there will not be any taxes for me, but am unsure whether to choose MacMall or Amazon at this point. (have also heard great things about portableone.com)

MacMall is having a sale for AppleInsiders that would save me around $37 which is great but they have a "no Apple products" return policy that makes me leery. And I am not sure how much I would have to pay for expedited shipping. Whereas with Amazon I am a prime member and I could have it in one day for a $3.99 shipping fee for overnight. Plus I know Amazon does returns of anything pretty much with a restocking fee.

Any opinions that should sway me one way or another?

I was also wondering which place would give me the best option of ending up with the Samsung SSD as I have been told numerous times it's better.

Any help you can give this newbie would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Faced the same dilemma last week. I was ready to call MacMall and use the discount as well as use the $10 off for a phone order, but they told me I couldn't use both. I said screw it, and paid the $3.99 on Amazon and had a base MBA (with samsung/samsung) at noon the next day.

3. Nychot macrumors 6502a

if you have a best buy they have the best deals. same no questions asked return policy as apple- they have deals. also 18 month no interest on purchases
    over 400 or so.

4. CardboardGiant macrumors regular

But the Topic Creator was asking about MacMall or Amazon, not Best Buy.

Anyway I'd go with Amazon. Always good experience with Amazon and have great customer service. Can't go wrong here.

5. komoornik macrumors regular

Hmm.

Sales tax is the question.

With Amazon there's no tax to most states, with macmall it's the opposite.

6. PoizonIvy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. Sounds like what I may end up doing.

I have a Best Buy as well but the tax isn't appealing to me and this will be a cash purchase.

Thank you very much, all opinions are welcome and appreciated.

MacMall didn't quote me any tax when I previewed the cart to attempt to check shipping fees. Hmm, maybe it depends on the state?

What about my other question? Any ideas on where the better place to chance getting the Samsung SSD is?

7. CardboardGiant macrumors regular

You have a better chance getting an Samsung SSD if you order 2011 13-inch i5 MBA.

8. iTouch macrumors 6502

I would go with Amazon. Had nothing but great experiences with them.

9. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I've used both. My suggestion is Amazon. There's rarely a problem, but if there is, Amazon is every bit as good as Apple at doing the right thing. I cannot say enough good things about Amazons speed of resolution to the customers satisfaction. Overall I do a tremendous amount of business with them. I am totally satisfied.

10. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

I'd go with Amazon but Best Buy is currently running a special on open box items. Mostly 20% off, plus there's a $100 off coupon floating around. All of them should have full warranty remaining. Some people are getting your 2011 13/4/128 MBA for as little as $997 (plus tax).

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3460202

11. PoizonIvy thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds like Amazon is the choice to go with. Y'all have been great, thank you.

Thank you very much. I checked that link out and none of the stores close to me have any MB Airs available but it was worth a shot. :)

12. Beaverman3001 macrumors 6502

I had zero issues ordering my 2010 MBA from MacMall, service was decent and fast, item arrived just as if I ordered from Apple. I'd go with whichever presents the better price.

13. Mikey-Mike macrumors member

Mikey-Mike

I've ordered plenty of stuff from Amazon & MacMall

But why not just order from Apple's web site?

They ship FedEx.

:):eek::apple:;):rolleyes:

14. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

Amazon hands down. Customer service has jumped through hoops for me and their return/exchange process is a breeze.

15. PoizonIvy thread starter macrumors newbie

They charge tax and I would prefer not paying any, even for FedEx shipping.

16. tbear1 macrumors regular

If you have a microcenter near by, they are a good option. They clear out old models at a good price.

Glenn

17. Timein macrumors newbie

18. TheDill macrumors newbie

I agree, bhphotovideo.com is really good. I got my MBA off there last week. Really fast shipping, the best price online, and you can get a few different software program packages for free (I got parallels 7, which was a 60 dollar value, for free when i ordered from there.)

19. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

Years ago, I bought a PowerBook from MacMall (I was a steady customer at that point) and had them add RAM.

When I got the machine, the outside was covered in something akin to mayonnaise. I'm unsure what it was; I remember it took me something like 30 minutes to clean the top and bottom.

The more I thought about it, the madder I got. Finally, I called MacMall, explained the situation, and asked to return the laptop for one they hadn't touched ... one someone hadn't slathered with grease or other unmentionable substances.

Their response: No way. I offered to send photos. "You can," I was told, "but it won't make a difference. We won't take it back."

On their website, they sell open-box items ... so obviously, they take some back - no doubt from high-volume purchasers who order one or two machines surplus to requirements. But they wouldn't take back my slimy PowerBook.

I haven't shopped there again. Amazon, on the other hand, is a viable alternative.

20. PoizonIvy thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have one that I know of, but thank you.

B&H hmm? I looked and their price is almost identical to Amazon's and the free Parallels would definitely be a bonus. I'd have to settle for UPS ground shipping for free but for the bonus software it might be worth it.

Thank you for the information on MacMall. Doesn't sound like the kind of place I would want to do business with.

21. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

I bought a 13" MBA from Amazon. It shipped before the estimated date and arrived earlier than estimated also. I have ordered other high dollar items from Amazon and have had no problems. Customer service is excellent when I have a question or needed to return an item.

I'd go with Amazon simply for the fact you can return no questions asked.