macmall or apple refurb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stevoeddz, Jan 20, 2009.

1. stevoeddz macrumors member

hey
    so im going to be buying my first mac before the end of this weekend.:D its going to be a unibody mbp 2.4ghz! i was originally going to buy a refurb from apple.com for 1700, but i saw that macmall is offering the same thing for 1750.

should i buy from apple or macmall? will i still get the 1 year applecare warranty from macmall? also does macmall charge tax?

2. bkim macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a 2.4ghz MBP as well. Both apple and macmall charge sales tax in California. Macmall is cheap but most of your savings are in the form of rebates (even the 'free' shipping). After tax, you're not saving much over Amazon or J&R which has no tax and free shipping (for california at least).

3. stevoeddz thread starter macrumors member

after reading these reviews im def not ordering from macmall. id think twice before ordering from them.

good luck with your buy

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/MacMall

4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Usually there are no problems with Macs, but if you have a problem, I have read that MacMall has terrible support/customer service and difficult for returns. On the other hand, I would guess that 95% of all Macs sold do not have any problems.

Usually people have great experiences from Apple Mac Refurbished selections.

Good luck whichever way you go.

5. MonoSeed macrumors newbie

I just bought my Macbook from Amazon. Free shipping and no tax. Even with free shipping, I ordered it on a Friday, and it got here Wednesday. I love Amazon, and they have a great return policy as well. Though I am not sure exactly what it is on the Mac, I guess I was only assuming it is the same as their other products.

6. Mr.Gadget macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

Doesn't this site have some sort of affiliate program with MacMall? I tried to pre-order the MacBook Pro 17" through the affiliate link, but once I submitted the order, I received a blank MacMall screen. The order did not go through from what I can tell. I emailed them twice asking but have not received a return email.
    Their current reseller ratings are very low. VERY LOW. Just be careful and know what you are getting before hand. Makes me kinda happy the pre-order didn't go (so far)... What a disappointment. Gives Macs a bad name.

7. pcwolff macrumors newbie

Well I was able to use the affiliate link Macrumors set up to get 3% off the new Macbook Pro 2.4 (yay!) I bought yesterday. However, all I've gotten from macmall was a phone call to confirm whether or not I had actually purchased it. And even though they said same day shipping it hasn't shipped yet (ordered it last night...). Still, they had a better price than buying a refurbished Macbook Pro since the tax on that was $100, while macmall didn't have any tax.