MacMall or Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jmac049, Jul 26, 2011.

1. jmac049 macrumors member

Wondering what people's experience has been when buying an iMac, which I will be buying soon. Did you go with MacMall? Apple Store? Some other place? What were those experiences?

Another questios - did you have to pay sales tax at the these stores? I live in Georgia, where Apple actually has physical stores so I think I would have to pay sales tax if ordering through Apple but I'm not sure if I would through MacMall. Anyone else run into this? I'm getting an iMac either way. Just wondering.

2. seniorgeek macrumors member

I recently purchased a new Imac, should ship today from the online Apple Store, even with the tax I had to pay I saved with the education discount on the Imac and Applecare was only $119.00, I used my American Express card which extended the warranty an additional year.

The other reason is that I switched the keyboard out to the wired keyboard with the numeric keypad and ordered the trackpad instead of the Magic Mouse, although I plan to use a Logitech mouse I thought I may as well get the trackpad with it.

The service so far has been great!

3. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

I avoided the Apple Store, because there are places around here that sell macs with service guides similar to Apple Care (better sometimes) for FREE, and they have more options available than my local Apple Store

4. yubbie2 macrumors newbie

I bought my BTO 2011 iMac through MacMall. Didn't have to pay sales tax, which would have been 8.25% here in TX. I did my homework first though... compared Apple Store - EDU discount + Tax to MacMall. MacMall still came out ahead. I had to wait an extra week or so for it to ship, but I didn't care too much.

By the way - I got them to come down on the price of AppleCare a LOT just by asking. I ended up getting it for $6 more than Apple's EDU price (which makes up for tax). When they offer it for the full price, just keep saying that you'll buy it next week at the Apple Store with your student ID. They'll keep coming down in price :) Also, they often throw in a free printer via mail in rebate, same as Apple.

The extra money I saved went straight to buying 8GB more ram, bringing the machine up to 12gb. It screams!

5. tcassio macrumors newbie

If I remember correctly, MacMall will not let you return it if you decide that the computer is not for you. With Apple you have 14 days to return or exchange.