MacMall or MacConnection

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BeemerPecker, Dec 15, 2008.

1. BeemerPecker macrumors newbie

I am looking to make my first Apple purchase (MacBook Pro). I am trying to find out whether MacMall or MacConnection has a better reputation.

Which on-line vendor would you make a multi-thousand dollar purchase from?

Thanks for you input.

2. BeemerPecker thread starter macrumors newbie

If resellerratings.com is correct, the choice is fairly obvious.

3. ninjadex macrumors 6502

Well one thing I know is, without getting into it, I would never order anything in the multi-thousand dollar range from Macmall. I was burned on their Apple return policy years ago.

Not sure about MacConnection though.

Honestly, I would recommend Amazon if they do not charge tax in your state.

4. bflowers macrumors 6502a

Actually just purchased a previous version of the MBP from MacMall. Sadly, it had a bad screen out of the box. Had to take it to the local Apple Store for repair, and Apple was great. Had no problems getting the purchase date corrected by calling Apple Care either.

MacMall's rebate handling might not be very good though. waiting to see about that.

5. BeemerPecker thread starter macrumors newbie

Just purchased last generation 2.5 MacBook Pro from Amazon. Cost to my front door tomorrow is $1,735.38 less $150.00 rebate = $1,585.38. Not too bad for a computer that was going for about $2,600.00 six weeks ago.

If the video chip fries, Apple will put a new one in.

6. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Thread Hijacking!

Ok sorry, to do this, but instead of polluting the place with more "help me" threads, I figured I'd ask in here because it's fairly similar.

I'm buying a laptop for school, I'm sold on apple. The question now is just threading the fine line between buying what I can afford to and buying with the idea of growing into the computer rather than out of. So, my dad is paying for the first $1300, to keep things fair with older siblings who got computers for their college years as well. I'm a freshmen at GMU so have been going computer less for the first semester. I get an education discount which is $100 off. So I think I'm going to get the 2.4 MB which means I'd have to add $200. Understandable, right? But if I go to a sight like Macconnection.com I can get the base MBP for $1750, I'd give my dad $450, and no sales tax. How is Macconnection.com? I haven't heard a lot about them. And are rebates always honored?

So, now on to what I need the computer for;
    School work, papers, stuff like that.
    Internet surfing, listening to music, using iLife playing around with those things. iChat video stuff. But, I think I may also want to play CoD WaW or something like that BF2. IDK. I may want to play those. Maybe in the future I'll need to run an AutoCad program for engineering. IDK

Basically, I fear that I'd outgrow the 2.4 MB, where as I'd grow into the MBP 2.4. What are your thoughts? There's also the safety of just buying from the Apple store, as opposed to buying online and shipping and such.

Thanks for the help,
    -Steve

7. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Whose the dood that's gonna help me with my question? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^