Macmall prices?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by knapkin, Apr 9, 2013.

1. knapkin macrumors member

I'm getting ready to upgrade and was recently looking at Macmall and saw some particularly steep discounts, for example (http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-MacBook-Pro/product~dpno~9529008~pdp.ibefgdg) claims to be an $849 discount on Apple's MSRP of $2,699 which seemed a bit off from my recollection of how much Apple actually charges... Sure enough, Apple's MSRP is $2,199 for this computer.

Now here is my dilemma, I'm really hesitant to trust macmall because of this. If their claimed discounts are so far off, I'm concerned I would not actually be getting the computer they are claiming to sell (prior gen, refurb?)... Does anyone have an insight into them and their pricing?

2. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

Macmall is being misleading here. The 2.9/8/512 13 retina WAS $2699 when it originally came out so the new price of $1849 is a big discount. HOWEVER... In feb when apple reduced the price of the 13s, the similar hardware config (which is now 3.0/8/512) is $2199. So macmall is technically being accurate but the savings is based on the old price not the new price.

Still $1849 vs $2199 for 100mhz slower and everything else exactly the same is probably worth it.

They are brand new just old inventory they are trying to dump.

3. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Discounts being far off is almost standard in retail. It's nothing to not trust a merchant over.

Here it was likely a mistake. MSRPs change. Maybe they didn't have time to update that specific product page in light of the thousands of products they have. Look at it from their point of view; they're giving you a deal, a product at a lower price than anyplace else. And you don't want to take it because they didn't edit the MSRP properly?

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

they are closing out stock of MD versions of the rMBP. Apple cut the prices with the new ME bump versions and MacMall is simply getting rid of old stock, so the prices are legit.

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

It seems to be $200 less than the apple store price, without factoring in the taxes and shipping.

Now the model number seems to be different, but I am not the right person to talk about those:
    http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD102LL/A?

Does this mean that a new model is soon to be released?

Note: I bought my current Mac at MacMall 2008, they used to provide a similar discounted price and also bundle some accessories for 'free' or mail-in rebates, things like Parallels Desktop, a printer, etc.