MacMall Restocking Fee?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jmgag03, Jul 12, 2012.

1. jmgag03 macrumors member

I called Monday to return my LG display Macbook Air. They told me it would be fine to return to them and as long as it wasn't damaged there would be no restocking fee and that they just needed to process it with my representative there and they would send me an email with return instructions.

I never heard from MacMall and tried to call again today and this time got my "rep". Now they tell me there is a restocking fee of 15% if I want to return it. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Buyer beware on MacMall.com!

:apple:

2. luqtotheman macrumors regular

That's why I love buying direct from apple, gives me a better peace of mind when purchasing something this expensive.

I bought a retina, used it for a week and exchanged it for an air in a matter of 10 minutes. No charges or hassles.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

4. jmgag03 thread starter macrumors member

Yes and at their discretion they don't have to charge a restocking fee and told me they wouldn't. They took that back. If a business won't honor what they're people say I'd be really careful of doing business with them. I read on this forum about what a great deal they had and I'm just telling people my bad customer service experience.

Especially if people feel they want to return a computer with a subpar screen they need to make sure they don't do business with macmall.

----------

Also when I told them I thought something was subpar or defective about the screen they told me to deal with the apple warranty. They still did not want to take it back.

5. calvol macrumors 6502a

Fry's is charging 15% restocking fee for iPads.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

Agreed. I'm generally suspicious when a company's policies state that something is done at their discretion. They should have upfront policies. A company always has the discretion to be more lenient. Saying that in a policy statement just creates a (usually false) implication that they are generally more lenient than their policy.

I purchased a 2010 MacBook Air from MacMall. At the time they were explicit that they didn't accept returns of Macs. However, since they were more than $100 less than Apple, I gave it a shot. They shipped it out quickly enough and it arrived in good condition. I did have an issue with the logic board (which MacMall could not have known about). The local Apple Store took it back and exchanged it without a problem, even issuing me a brand new receipt with a new "purchase" date. In that case, it was Apple's good customer service that saved the day.

7. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

This thread falls into the, "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is." life lesson. Before people blindly rush to save money, they should ask themselves why can MacMall sell the same item for less. What's the catch?

8. jmgag03 thread starter macrumors member

Well your right. I wish MacMall had a explicitly stated policy on restocking fees rather than a vage reference to a restocking fee they may charge you when they fully intend to charge it to you. I'll be ordering from Apple or Amazon in the future. So sad about the whole thing.

9. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

I first learned of these 'dubious' practices of MacMall here on MR years ago. If you know what you want and only would return the item if it's defective, MacMall is OK. The $100 price difference between MacMall and Apple might also offer insight into what Apple's liberal return policy costs every MBA purchaser.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

It isn't just that, though. The Apple stores are about branding, and like most company stores they charge MSRP (though unlike most company stores they have a sale exactly 1 day a year). Also consider the "free" Genius bars and workshops.

11. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

You're right, there's more included in the $100 delta than just a more liberal return policy. However, everyone pays the $100 even if they never return the device, use the Genius bar or attend a free workshop.