Macmall

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Thrawn, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Thrawn macrumors member

Hey everyone.

I plan on getting a santa rosa white macbook soon, probably on black friday. I was looking for the best price on macbooks, and I came across Macmall.com. They have a 2.2 White Macbook for only $1,219, which is almost as good as the educational discount, plus you get a few things free with the deal. Anways, thinking this was too good to be true, I read up on them. Some people have had really bad experiences with them, but on the other hand, quite a few people have had fine experiences with them. Just wondering if anyone here has had any experiences with them. Good or bad.

Thanks

Thrawn

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

My experience was ok. Took three times longer to ship than they promised. Product was fine, rebates are going fine.

They have a "NO RETURNS, WHAT SO EVER" on Apple product. So if you get a dud, go to Apple. If you want to return it because it's a tird. No can do, go to Apple.

Apple, mind you won't allow you to return it to them since they didn't sell it to you.

That's the biggest issues I see.

3. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

I've purchased a few things from them over the years (12" PowerBook, a couple of iPods, a printer, etc.) and I've never had an issue. They generally maintain a great stock level for even the most popular products and, as a result, can ship faster than smaller resellers. The price is legit, but you'll be paying $100 more up front. The discount comes via a mail in rebate. My experience with MacMall rebates has been that, while sometimes slow (6-8 weeks), they're always delivered. You should also know that all of those extras are free *after rebate*. Be sure to budget the up front cost and prepare to wait a month or two to get your money back. If you can do that then you're set. These prices are actually better than the Apple student discount, as there's no tax on the units for most states. I managed to get a BlackBook 2.2 C2D for $1397 after rebate from MacMall earlier this week. Couple that with two of the 2GB RAM DIMMs that Fry's is selling for $39.99 and I managed to come away with a loaded BlackBook for less than the Apple retail price. I hope that helps answer your question. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance. :)

4. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Don't let Twinkie hear you say you didn't pay tax. He'll cry about how you should declare use tax on your Tax returns.

5. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

I thought about trying to cheat the government, then I decided I'd just save the money up front. ;)

6. Thrawn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info everyone! I'm still a bit undecided because of the no return rule, but otherwise the comments were very helpful. Two questions though.

1. Any idea what states they don't charge tax on?

2. Do you still get the limited time apple support that comes with the purchase (without apple care)?

7. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Yes you still get the warranty.

The only ways I could see being upset about MacMalls return policies:

1) The system is downright broken out of the box. Since you didn't buy it from Apple they'd want to repair it. I do not want a week old laptop 'repaired'. I want it replaced.

2) Apple does not help you in your plight for a new laptop when the one you just bought (that is new) is just a pos so you want to return it due to Apple's lack of reasonable help.

If either of these are feasible or possible in your mind, then don't buy from MM.

8. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

I'm not sure which states are levied a sales tax and which states aren't. You could always give them a call and ask. And as Mindflux mentioned, you also get the Apple factory warranty. MacMall is an authorized Apple reseller. You're buying a new MacBook the exact same way you'd buy it from Amazon or CompUSA. They have their own (admittedly restrictive) return policy but the product is 100% guaranteed by Apple. It's eligible for AppleCare, too. I hope that helps put some fears to rest.

9. Polo2883 macrumors regular

I am on the edge right now. With amazon i dont have to do a mail in rebate its all done online. I also save the 100 + no tax.

I was wondering if macmall does any black friday things or how often do they do promo codes. It looks like the last one for 3.3% off expired

10. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

You can get 1.5% back through fatwallet if you use their click through. Takes something like 90 days and then you can cash it out to your paypal. I've got about 30$ from a macmall clickthrough I'm waiting on. :)

11. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

A long Time Past MacMall Customer

In the early days when there were actually 2 magazines devoted to Apple, Macmall was a big advertiser and I would get very thick catalogs from them in the mail.

I purchased many hardware items from them. Epson printers, Zip drives and so forth. Shipping always took longer than I was told when I ordered.

When there was a rebate by mail through them, I had to call and fight for each rebate!

Eventually I stopped doing business with them entirely. Yes, others have had no issues, so I do not know what to tell you. Sometimes it is better to pay a little more and deal with a reputable dealer......such as smalldog and many others.

12. macpaul30 macrumors newbie

I just ordered a 24" iMac and a LaCie 500 GB d2 Quadra drive from MacMall on a Friday, and it was delivered the next Wednesday. I also had a question about my order and was able to get through to MacMall within 10 minutes the following Monday morning. I couldn't be happier with the overall MacMall experience. As you have noted, there are some good reviews and some bad reviews, but I am extremely happy with their service.

I have also mailed in my rebates, and they are already up their website with the status of being processed.

I have nothing bad to say about my MacMall experience.

I hope this helps!

13. Polo2883 macrumors regular

macmall is having a 48hr apple sale... the banner says upto 22% off

14. Maldini macrumors regular

Maldini

I'm interested in buying a MBP from macmall too.. can anyone please describe mail-in for me? and does it work for international costumes too??!!

appreciate your help :)

15. tingly macrumors 6502

16. Maldini macrumors regular

Maldini

Ahh ok....today i found a much better deal for the MBP at amazon without any mail in
    " Price After Rebate: $1,749.99"

Thanx :D

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

and amazon's return policy is *great.*