MacMall's Claim Re FedEx Tracking Number: "Masked for Your Protection"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pimentoLoaf, Sep 25, 2008.

1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

What protection?

This is the first thing I've ordered from anybody and I didn't get the tracking number outright.

Only yesterday, something ordered from Apple got sent by FedEx elsewhere in the neighborhood; the tracking number was able to reroute the driver to the proper address. (Because it req'd a signature AND the other person was not home, only a door tag was delivered.)

With MacMall, I don't have a tracking number should anything go wrong. :mad:

Has this always been their policy or is it something new?

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Umm, did you contact them to check on it? It's not really a matter of security to hide the tracking number, as all it does is track the package, not reroute it.

3. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

They wrote back (long after it was successfully delivered) and said that if someone got a hold of my credit card number, someone could then reroute my package elsewhere. In order to eliminate that possibility, they say they couldn't allow me to see the tracking number outright.

Good news! :D They just sent the actual number in a follow-up email.

4. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Once a package is shipped for delivery, it can't be rerouted. And the tracking number in no way shows or is related to a credit card number.

5. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

Ummm, working in the industry, I know for a fact that both UPS and FedEx offer services that allow for packages that have not been delivered to be rerouted. In Theory, only the shipper should be allowed to do it, but if you know how to read UPS tracking numbers you can figure out what the shippers account number is, etc etc and commit fraud.