Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
I have one. Strange thing is that ever since Apple released "Mighty Mouse" my mouse has been acting extremely quirky. (It may have also been the new security update as I installed it around the same time.) It is MUCH more sensative. Sometimes it registers a mouse-click as a double mouse-click causing programs to execute or folders to open. Other times when I'm moving the mouse it will jump from one side of the screen to the other.

It is possible it's a coincidence (though I don't believe in coincidences). Am I the only one having this problem? If not, how can the problem be resolved?

I've tried MacMice's mouse driver and I'ver also tried USB Overdrive to no effect. I've repaired permissions too.

fitinferno

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
London, UK
mbuhmann said:
I have one. Strange thing is that ever since Apple released "Mighty Mouse" my mouse has been acting extremely quirky. (It may have also been the new security update as I installed it around the same time.) It is MUCH more sensative. Sometimes it registers a mouse-click as a double mouse-click causing programs to execute or folders to open. Other times when I'm moving the mouse it will jump from one side of the screen to the other.

It is possible it's a coincidence (though I don't believe in coincidences). Am I the only one having this problem? If not, how can the problem be resolved?

I've tried MacMice's mouse driver and I'ver also tried USB Overdrive to no effect. I've repaired permissions too.

Have you checked the mouse preferences in the system finder to see if changing that at all will do the trick?

Preacher85

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2004
Vermillion, SD
I have the bluetooth version of the same mouse, and have had those same problems from day one a year ago. As soon at the Mighty Mouse goes bluetooth, I'm going with that.

fitinferno

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
London, UK
Preacher85 said:
I have the bluetooth version of the same mouse, and have had those same problems from day one a year ago. As soon at the Mighty Mouse goes bluetooth, I'm going with that.

Mighty Mouse going bt...*drool*

SneekyCheef

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2005
SAME HERE!!! I'm Returning it.

I have been having the same crap happen. Its when you click and drag. It will jump around and start highlighting stuff. I tested in different mouse pads, the table, e.t.c.

I know it is the MM because i have a BT mouse and tested them side by side and the BT works fine. It has become almost unusable.

:mad:

clcnyc

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
NYC
THE MOUSE SUCKS

It's not Apple. I had "The Mouse" for almost a year, and the only reason I held on to it was because I knew Apple would be releasing their own version, and now I have it! I had the same problems with The Mouse from day one, replaced it with another, and still had problems (always double clicking, way too sensitive, unable to drag ANYTHING). Go get Mighty Mouse! It's so nice to be able to drag and drop again!

;) ;)

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
fitinferno said:
Have you checked the mouse preferences in the system finder to see if changing that at all will do the trick?

I've tried that but to no avail. It may be a gliche in the mouse but, again, I find it strange it appeared immediately after the release of Mighty Mouse (and the security update).

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
I've done a little bit more experimentation and have discovered it's not just The Mouse USB. I hooked up the original single-button mouse that shipped with my G5 and the same quirky behavior exists. I tried connecting the mouse to a different USB port and that didn't help.

Whatever the problem I'm now convinced it is an Apple driver problem. Something happened with one of their updates which has caused my computer not to register mouse movements accurately. Unfortunately the daily, weekly and monthly maintenance didn't solve the problem nor did repairing permissions.

Anyone else have an idea?

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
Raven VII said:
Have you even considered that maybe it's the surface of your table or whatever you're using your mouse on?

It started happening on a surface it never had a problem with before. I first tried a mouse pad to see if that would work. Nada. Then I moved and got a new desk. Brand new surface, no blemishes or anything. Still nothing. I doubt it's a surface issue.

Lloyd1994

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2004
Orygun
mbuhmann said:
It started happening on a surface it never had a problem with before. I first tried a mouse pad to see if that would work. Nada. Then I moved and got a new desk. Brand new surface, no blemishes or anything. Still nothing. I doubt it's a surface issue.

DVForge knows there is a problem with TheMouseBT

MacMice.com said:
If you still have a cursor movement issue, please immediately contact our support department, to arrange a refund (if it came directly from our web store), or, return the product to your place of purchase for a refund. At this time, we are not replacing mice that reach this point with this issue, as we believe the actual issue to be either environmental or within the customer's computer system or setup. All mice with this issue returned to us have proven to be 100% functional, with no hardware defect. So, sending you another 100% functional mouse would still not solve the issue.

Mine is completely unusable. Still need to take it back though. Lazy me.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Worse than knowing something is wrong, they are probably in bankruptcy right now.

http://jackwhispers.blogspot.com/

Read that and see if they are a viable alternative right now.

Edit: Jack denies bankruptcy plans .... no telling what is happening, and a lot more fun in the Jack vs. Phil saga -- but it does seem these companies may be going out of business.

OCOTILLO

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2005
Houston, TX
Mac Mice BT - Looked Good - Worked Bad

I read their website and thought "That looks good, I think I will buy it." What a waste of money, I used it for a couple of hours and had to quit. It now resides in my closet with all those other items which caught my attention in a weak moment. It didn't compare to the Mighty Mouse which I really like.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
I just ordered the Mighty Mouse. It's $50 I really don't have the money for but editing has become unbearable with the pointer wigging out every few minutes.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Sun Baked said:
Edit: Jack denies bankruptcy plans .... no telling what is happening, and a lot more fun in the Jack vs. Phil saga -- but it does seem these companies may be going out of business.
Bankrupt or not, they certainly have closed down their products business.

dvforge press release said:
DVForge, Inc. has been undergoing a transition in its business model for the past 90-days, from a manufacturing/sales model to a product development/IP licensing model. At this time, the operational points of that transition are complete, and we have exited the product sales channel. All MacMice/DVForge products have been licensed to other manufacturers. And, in time most of them will reemerge in the market, under new brands. We are maintaining a full warranty support inventory, and will continue to provide full customer support on all products we have sold.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
Still doesn't explain why my original mouse (the one that came with the G5) is doing the same thing. Luckily it's not as often so I'm not pulling hair out but still...

rtjstevens

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2004
Sheffield + Bath UK
Irregular pointer movements etc

I have a brand new iMac and experienced the same problem with the Apple mouse and a Microsoft one. The cause was me leaning on my elbow which was just touching the side of the space bar on the keyboard. The fix was simple!

Try it ...

BW

RTJ

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Fixed!!!

For all of you on laptops, I figured out that if you turn off the check box in mouse preferences that enables the trackpad to click, the MacMice mouse suddenly works normal again!

YAY!

Edit: Well, after a little while of working, the problem is back. Even after reinstalling 10.4. It's not the security update either, because I didn't update my system right away. It's definitely the mouse.

fitinferno

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
London, UK
cyks said:
Now that DVForge's closing is official... with no solution to the problem- Does anyone know of a good reliable Bluetooth mouse for the Mac?

I guess get in the queue for the mighty mouse to go BT? The simple Apple BT mouse is reliable and gets a long battery life...but if you really want a good BT mouse, Logitech is probably the best, imo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.