Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cavi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Haifa, Israel
Hello everyone,

I own MacBook Pro mid 2009 which I turned into a Mail and web server. I also own a MacMini which is a player for all my ALAC music files and connected to my amplifier.
I noticed that the MacBook runs hot all the time (55C - 70C) and I thinking about removing the SSD from the MacBook, and install it on the MacMini and turn it to my server, but I'm afraid that the 1.4 is too slow for 15 users email. What do you think?

And connected to this issue but not to this topic, I once (before I bought the MacMini to serve as my media server) tried to use my iPhone and iPad as a remote to iTunes while using the MacBook (as I mentioned, Mis 2009), but for some reason I wasn't able to locate the MacBook while using home sharing? Did I do something wrong, or it just the MacBook too old and isn't have the ability to share iTunes library via remote app?

Thanks! =]
A.

Geeky Chimp

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2015
We have used/are using a number of Mac Mini 2014's providing a range of OSX Server Services and we do have some Mac Mini 2014's Base Model (1.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / 500GB HDD) as Mail Servers for ~100 users and they perform more than fine.

Hope that helps.

cavi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Haifa, Israel
Yes! Helped me a lot. Thanks for your comment.
I'm also considering switching the HDD to SSD in order to have better performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.