MacMini 10.8 - 10.9 ...or stay on 10.7?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Deth, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Deth macrumors member

Hello.
    My head is about to explode right and i honestly don't know what to do. so I'm asking someone else opinion about this.

The technical answer is "go for mavericks is the newest (stable) OS and its FREE!!!!"
    but i don't care much about the technical answer but the Practical answer...

See, i got this mac in 2012 and it came with Lion, its been the best computer i has have so far, the performance is been a dream from day 1, moved for this i got a ton of games for my free time, some of them i haven even start yet, the thing is, since a while a lot of people has been telling me that Lion doesn't handle the AMD video cards well resulting on slow downs and incompatibility that and the annoying obsolete version of safari were the main reasons why i wanted to switch to Mountain Lion... then Mavericks appears and its free and "better" ...so they say.

I was preparing myself for a couple of months doing backups and finishing pending works in preparation to switch to Mavericks, then i start reading bad things about it that makes me reconsider if i should get 10.8 instead. they say that the New OpenGL cause slowdowns on pretty much every kinda old game and broke many older games

Thinking it better one of the big reasons i wanted to upgrade was to improve performance in the games and now they say that the performance would suffer on Mavericks...

Someone says that the game developers have to release updates... come on, we have run this path before when OSX or intel processors come up on scene... and mostly of the developers NEVER release the freaking updates so...

Also if i switch to Mavericks it seems that i have to buy another version of QuarkXpress which is vital to my work

...and Im afraid that ML would not be able to be purchased after Yosemite final release.

What do you suggest i should do?
    Mind that i don't care about paying for Mountain lion.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is there any feature of the OS or applications that you need to run, that require a newer OS?

If not, then why upgrade if you're happy with what you're running on. I think both Mountain Lion and Mavericks are great operating systems but if you're happy with 10.8 and there's no reason to upgrade why do it.

3. Deth thread starter macrumors member

Right now Im on Lion 10.7 ...i was recommended to switch to Mountain Lion because 10.7 doesn't handle the AMD video cards in the right way, that and that i really want to update my current version of safari that is almost unusable as it is right now

From Mavericks the only thing that i see interesting is the new labels system, more than that i guess is the same, but i'm afraid of some poor performance some people has mention on some application and games due a newer version of OpenGL or something like that