Macmini 2014 last decision

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by jlxz, Nov 3, 2014.

1. jlxz macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

I'm about to buy a Macmini 2014 and I need some advice choosing some specs. Please, I've read a lot here in Macrumors and in other forums, and I want to buy a 2014 model, not a 2012.

SSD vs FusionDrive: I'll choose SSD 256GB (512GB es tooo expensive) with external storage.

i5 2,8GHz vs i7 3,0GHz: Does it worth the upgrade to i7 CPU? Is it significative the performance between these two CPUs?
    Not very CPU intensive use, some video encoding and some gaming.

8GB vs 16GB: here I think 16GB is more future-proof because of the soldered RAM.

So I've got just one last decision to make, please, could you help me?

Thanks a lot.

2. blairwillis macrumors regular

Sounds like you're on the right track. SSD internal for speed, and storage external.

16GB will mean a longer useful life, so if you can afford it, do it.

3. J232022 macrumors member

To be honest I would buy a 2012 quad core Mac Mini new online while you still can . Those 2014 Mac Minis are not worth it at all , even with them dropping the price .

4. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

I don't think I completely agree. While I bought a 2012 instead of a 2014 myself, the new models are still pretty good.

Ok, no more quad core or upgradable memory, but better Haswell processor and Iris graphics. So I wouldn't trash the latest model completely. For many, this is what they prefer and are looking for.

5. z3razerviper macrumors newbie

I am debating the same thing the graphics card in the 2012 model is just to slow for my taste