Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a_vill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2020
I just bought a USB-C to 4xUSB 3 Hub for my MacMini 2018. However, the moment I plug it in, my WiFi just loses it's connection to my network. Right now, I have a display connected through the HDMI, another display connected through a USB-C to HDMI adapter, and an external SSD plugged in through the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port. I've done my basic research and apparently, this is a rather common issue, which is kind of a bummer that the hub interferes with the WiFi performance.

Is there any solution to this problem? As much as possible, I don't want to resort to a wired connection to my router, and I don't want to buy another hub that will just fail me. Online shops are listing USB-C Hubs that have cable lengths of half a meter upwards with 1 meter being the longest dongle on a short search. If I were to get a longer usb-c hub or a usb-c extension cable, what would be the ideal length to reduce/eliminate the interference?

EDIT 1: I tried wrapping the hub in foil and it no longer interferes with my MacMini's network. Also, the same dongle doesn't interfere with a 2020 27" iMac.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Get a longer cable for the hub (perhaps a shielded USB cable) and re-locate it further away.

Also... if the Mini and router are in the same room, just run an ethernet cable and be done with it.
NOTHING beats a hard-wired connection...

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I just bought a USB-C to 4xUSB 3 Hub for my MacMini 2018. However, the moment I plug it in, my WiFi just loses it's connection to my network.
If your wifi is not on 5GHz, try switching it to that. This will probably eliminate the interference but can also reduce signal strength in some cases.

Reactions: jackerin

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I had various bluetooth and wireless issues with my hub close to my 2018 Mac mini. I was determined that there must be a solution without having to rearrange my desk. Googled and troubleshooted (troubleshot?) for months and nothing worked.

I finally caved and moved the hub about 1.5 feet away from my Mac and all problems were solved. Not sure why I was so stubborn about it.

Reactions: Boyd01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.