Macmini on steriods or imac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by backinblackacdc, Aug 18, 2009.

1. backinblackacdc macrumors newbie

Hi.

I have a decision to make. I want to get a mac and I'm thinking that if I don't have to spend the extra to get an imac then I won't, but I don't know if a mini will be suitable for my needs.

I use my comp for web browsing, photo editing, light vid editing, mail, etc. Nothing too taxing really. But I have a ton of extra peripherals.

So my first question is can a mac mini handle about 7 devices all drawing power from usb?

Is it possible to remove the hdd from the mini? I want to slap in an ssd and juice it up. (If not would the apple store do this?)

How much real world difference is there between the 20inch 2.6 ghz imac and an 2.2ghz mac mini? I'd especially like to hear from those who have both.

I think that is it. If:p anyone could help I'd be much grateful.

Thanks.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah the new mac minis can handle all those tasks you want. Just bump the RAM to 4Gigs and you're in bizness.

You can drop an 2.5" SSD in it as well. As far as the USB devices you have, yeah I think it can handle it and if it can't just get a powered USB hub.

3. BoogieTrain macrumors member

^^ Seconded.

Concerning the processors (I don't own a macmini) there is not much difference, if any at all, with basic tasks. Media editing and other processor intensive apps might be a little snappier, and long processes might be cut by a few minutes.

I say unless you are doing intensive things with somewhat regularity, save some dough and go with the 2.2. Pocket the extra money, or get a larger, or higher performance SSD.

Also, consider that the iMac comes with a monitor lol.

4. kap09 macrumors 6502

the monitor is a really important point here. building up the mac mini to imac specs and purchasing a monitor with the same quality panel in the imac will likely be more expensive than just buying the imac.

5. dcweber macrumors newbie

This is incorrect. Some great cheap & large lcd's out there from a number of manufacturers. Add some ram to the mini, purchase a video cable (DVI) and you're in business.

6. BoogieTrain macrumors member

Im not sure what quality monitors the iMacs have, though im assuming fairly high.

Getting a high quality display like the apple cinema display would probably bring to to or over the imac price point, however, a display like that really is not needed unless you are doing serious photo video editing that requires crazy color reproduction or viewing angles or whatever. You can find 22inch full 1080p monitors for around 200, and even cheaper if u are willing to spare a couple of pixels or inputs.

I don't know about the iMac's options for external displays, but the Mac Mini would be much better if you will be using an external display, the iMac just seems awkward if it had an external monitor connected.

Side Question. can the new macmini run 2 non apple displays?

7. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Pretty sure it can. It has a MDP and a mini DVI. They should be able to run independently.

8. kap09 macrumors 6502

I agree that reasonable quality monitors can be had at great prices that will make the mini a more cost effective option. That said, to be entirely comparable to the imac, you're looking at a pricey external display (400-500 minimum through dell, hp, etc)