MacMini Partitions?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scb02, May 12, 2010.

1. scb02 macrumors regular

OK had major problems with my MacMini and it resulted in me partitioning the HD and putting the Mac OS X Install DVD on one and then using the other half as the install destination, now I have Leopard finally working, I only have a 40GB HD as I will be getting an external for all my storage so just need this in order to install OS and Programmes so should be fine. Anyway back to my questions.

After the install I went to disc utility and I erased all the stuff off the install partition but how do I make my mac HD all 1 again? I tried the drop down menu to change it from 2 partitions to 1 partition but it's blacked out, can't click the - button as that's blanked out, I have erased it but now it shows as free space but doesn't attached itself to my current HD so the Mac is trying to install updates but only thinks it has 6GB free when there is actually 26GB free, how would I sort this?

Thanks
    Simon

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Any time you change the partition structure on a volume, it will be erased. Your best bet would be to get an external drive and Clone your source to it, re-partition the drive to one logical partition and clone it back.

Though I'm curious: you mentioned you partition from 1 to 2, how did you do that without losing everything?

3. scb02 thread starter macrumors regular

The drive was bust anyway so i didn't mind loosing everything then, i reformatted another partition well partition 2 just now and clicked the - button and it has gone but hasn't made my normal drive any bigger like it should it has just disappeared?

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

sounds to me you de-formatted the second partition.

My solution to you still remains: get and external, clone your source partition to it, repartition your internal, and clone back. All done.