MacMini showing up as PC server in finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by spectre51, May 2, 2010.

1. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

I have three Macs a MacBook, MacMini and iMac. On the iMac and MacBook if I have show bonjour computers in the shared section of the finder sidebar the MacMini shows up there as a PC Server. It is actually listed twice once as a PC Server and the other as a regular MacMini (the regular MacMini disappears if I uncheck Back to My Mac in the finder preferences)

I can connect to the shared folders via both the regular MacMini or the PC server version. Not sure how I can remove this rogue PC Server version of the MacMini. There must be some software installed that is causing this but I can't think what it might be.

Anyone else have this issue? I know I can just uncheck bonjour computers but thats not what I am trying to accomplish I don't want it to show up as a PC server or at least find out what is causing it.

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Do you have SMB sharing enabled on the mac mini (so it shares with windows computers)?
    If so, that is why.

3. spectre51 thread starter macrumors 6502

spectre51

Don't think that is it because I have SMB sharing enabled on the MacBook and iMac and both those systems are not showing a PC Server version in the finder.

4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

The second poster is correct. SMB (samba) shares show up as PC shares. AFP / netatalk shares can show up looking like mac / airport icons.

5. spectre51 thread starter macrumors 6502

spectre51

Never had that be the case. Always had smb sharing enabled because I have a PC on the network. Again my iMac and MacBook do not show up that way on any of the other systems just the MacMini

[​IMG]

6. spectre51 thread starter macrumors 6502

spectre51

Just for ***** and giggles I disabled the smb sharing from all my machines. The MacMini is still showing up this way in the finder.

7. spectre51 thread starter macrumors 6502

spectre51

Rebooting didn't fix the issue but relaunching the finder manually did. No more Mac showing as a PC server.