macmini suggestion (OSX server) for 10-15TB data

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by slayerizer, Apr 17, 2013.

1. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm considering getting a mac mini for server purposes. Anyone have ideas for a setup where I need at least 10TB of storage?I already have 2 windows servers that have 10tb each, I wanted to replace one with a mac mini.I have a ton of movies (movies that i own and transcoded to a digital file) and I also want to do remote backup of my macs via network on that machine.

I don't need RAID protection since I will clone the data to my windows server.

I bought drive enclosures in the past but they all failed. Is there something reliable out there without breaking the bank? I could plug 3-4x USB drives but this requires several PSU.

Otherwise I will keep my windows box and install itunes for media sharing with my apple tv. I know it's also possible to do a network backup to a SMB share in case I don't get the mini.

any inputs?
  2. mikepro macrumors 6502

Sep 3, 2010
    So... it sounds like the only thing this would give you over your windows setup is the ability to do Time Machine? I mean you can run iTunes on Mac and Windows, and you already have the windows boxes, so just wondering what this gives you?

If just Time machine, maybe just get a Time Capsule.

Alternatively, you could do something cheap like get 3 4TB external firewire or USB drives and hook them up to your Mini. I like the Seagate external drives that allow you to swap the interface from firewire to USB3 to thunderbolt.

I like this solution better than the enclosure boxes that have their own controllers and stuff in them. Makes it much easier to get your data off if you do have a failure in an enclosure or power supply. But, it's 3 separate volumes, rather than appearing as 1 mega volume.