MacMini Thunderbolt -> Previous Generation Apple DisplayPort monitor

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by DavidSJC, Oct 24, 2011.

1. DavidSJC macrumors newbie

Hi, I have the 2011 MacMini Server. I understand that Thunderbolt and
    MiniDisplay cables are compatible. My question is on hooking up the previous
    generation 27" Apple Display with MiniDisplay port to the MacMini Thunderbolt
    connection.

Has anybody done this? The spec sheet says that the MacMini can output
    up to 2560x1600 through the Thunderbolt connector. And 1920x1200 out
    of the HDMI connector.

I want to hook up the Thunderbolt connection to the Apple Display
    MC007LL/A with Mini Display Port. Can I still get 2560x1600 resolution?

The reason for getting the previous generation monitor is obvious. I can buy
    it cheaper from ebay than getting the brand new thunderbolt display. If the
    resolution is the same, then there's no difference!

I don't care much for the new thunderbolt functionality like daisy chaining.
    I just need one single monitor.

Thanks.
    David

2. simsaladimbamba

3. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I'm currently using a 2010 27" iMac as my 2011 Mac Mini Server display. I use a Belkin Mini Displayport to Mini Displayport cable from the Apple store. I'm getting full resolution and color without any issue. You may be able to find a entry level 2010 27" iMac deeply discounted to use as a display. Two caveats are the brightness does not adjust and you must boot/wake the Mac Mini before changing to Target Display Mode on the iMac.

4. hornshwangler macrumors newbie

David,

Yes, I'm using the new mini server and a minus 1 generation 27" cinema display and they work perfectly together. However, the max resolution is 2560 x 1440. I've had many apple displays in the past, all connected to various mini or apple notebook computers all without a failure of any kind. I've been very happy with my current configuration.

good luck
    Dan

5. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Just bear in mind that you may need to install a firmware update to stop your cinema display from flickering while connected to the 2011 mini.