MacMini USB Port Question

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by pandeas, Jul 15, 2019.

1. pandeas macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a Late 2012 MacMini 2.6GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7. The spec sheets say that it has USB 3.0 ports, but when I check the system report, it says USB 2.0. Would anyone know which is correct? It just that I want to connect a fast external hard drive and want to know whether to go with USB 3 or Thunderbolt (I expect that this will be TB1).

Cheers.

2. chabig macrumors 603

You have USB 3 ports that support speed up to 5Gbps. I suspect you're misreading the System Report. You should be fine connecting an external drive to the USB port. While faster, a Thunderbolt device won't be worth the extra cost, because the data transfer rate will be limited to what the external drive can achieve.

3. Boyd01 Moderator

Boyd01

Staff Member

I have the same Mini, and they are definitely USB 3.0. This is what I get with a 1TB Samsung T3 USB SSD, with a USB 2.0 port it would only be about 35 MB/sec. ;)

[​IMG]

4. pandeas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback. So, I have downloaded BlackMagic Disk Speed Test and plugged in a USB 3.0 WD My Passport Ultra. I am not getting anything like a USB 3.0 speed:

Speed Test USB 3 external.jpeg

Here is my system:

System 1.jpeg

USB details from the system profiler:

System Profile 1.jpeg

So I am not sure what is going on as the specs say USB 3.0, but mine seems to be USB 2.0.

5. chabig macrumors 603

Let's rule out the freak possibility that the manufacturer accidentally put USB2 hardware onto your motherboard in place of USB3 hardware. That leaves just a few possibilities:

1. You bought this Mini from someone who lied about its configuration and sold you a 2011 Mini disguised as a 2012.
    2. You are teasing us.
    3. System software can't correctly identify your hardware.

Let's assume it's a software problem. The machine is seven years old.

- Have you applied all firmware updates?
    - Try resetting the System Management Controller:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

- Try downloading and running the latest High Sierra combo updater. This will ensure you have the latest drivers:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1970

If the combo updater doesn't work, I would suggest a clean install.

6. xbpr macrumors member

I’ve got a 2012 Server and System Information shows the same 2 USB 2.0 entries as yours, but I scrolled further down and there is a USB 3.0 entry as well.

7. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Devices on USB 2.0 speed will show up under a 2.0 device tree in the system profiler, at least it does for me, while 3.0 devices show up under a separate 3.0 device tree. Do you have anything more showing?

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

For an external hard disk, those speeds look about normal. The speeds @Boyd01 was showing were from an SSD. Here's what I see on a 2012 Mini from my Time Machine backup disk.

If you had USB 2.0, you'd be getting tops around 35Mb/s

Attached Files:

9. pandeas thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay,

Thanks for this. I will check when I get home tonight if there is a 3.0 tree and also see if I’ve got a SSD external drive that I can attach.

I did check the serial number on the computer case and it matches the serial number on the system.

It still seems a bit strange that I couldn’t easily see a USB 3.0 tree. For any of you that have this as a separate tree, can you look at the image from system profiler that I have put above and compare it to yours? In case it should be in the same place.

Thanks again, this thread has been really helpful

10. Boyd01 Moderator

Boyd01

Staff Member

Sure you are. I also have a couple Passport Ultra's, and they're slow bus-powered hard drives. On USB 2.0, you would only be getting around 30-35 MB/sec. On a full sized USB 3.0 3tb hard drive with its own power brick, I get around 150 to 170MB/sec. You will need an external SSD to take full advantage of the USB port speed.

11. Scoot65 macrumors member

I've just checked the system profile on my machine. If you click and hold / drag down on the little dot below the 'bluetooth USB host controller' it will show 'USB 3 bus'. Have you tried this?

12. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I think you just need to scroll down :)

There are two USB 2.0 busses on the USB Device Tree, then the USB 3.0 bus is below those. At least one of the 2.0 busses is internal; it has the IR receiver and Bluetooth controller on it.

Attached Files: