MacMini v Apple TV: Denied!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by coogee, Mar 16, 2009.

1. coogee macrumors regular

I put the motion to the floor of the House yesterday, 'I want a new Mac Mini waaagh!'

After some stimulating debate from both Benches, the Chancellor of the Exchequer very firmly denied the motion. Epic fail!

Truth is, we already have an Apple TV we picked up for $200 (AU) which is set-up running XBMC and using NAS boxes and shares from my iMac. It works a treat, my 5 year old can work it, as can the Chancellor, it's been a sure-fire winner.

I assembled the White Paper: 'I want a Mac Mini Waaagh' because I would love that extra functionality to torrent on it and to run HD content (to our non-HD screen lol - 720p) but bottom line is that it will cost 5 times as much, $1000, to buy a Mac Mini and it just wasn't happening.

Just thought I'd share that eventful moment of my life for others preparing Papers, you might want to get some more ammunition as the economics just don't add up on Mac Mini as HTPC, not compared to :apple:TV.

And, I know the Mac Mini is much more than an :apple:TV but in terms of function, it was nowhere near to justify the massive added cost.

Denied! Now where's my Guy Fawkes mask gone?

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

3. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

4. coogee thread starter macrumors regular

Back at you

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Touche!:p

Has thou tried any powers of persuasion over the dutchess? ;)

6. coogee thread starter macrumors regular

The Lady is not for turning :D

This was a one-shot opportunity. My preparation could have been stronger but the bare-faced facts were simply inadequate to charm the purse from her fingers.

(there's just too much metaphor happening there, I doth get loste in it!)

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I laugh in the face of a man or woman who is somehow controlled to such a degrees that they can't buy something they want. I say you buy it unless she is the sole breadwinner. Then in that case Man Up!

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

When spending a grand, i think both parties involved should be in agreement.

9. coogee thread starter macrumors regular

Our resources are pooled to form the Treasury. We have a family we support from these funds. We make significant expenditure by consensus, I can accept that, it's not solely of her choosing and forget yee not the roles could easily be reversed and I'd be staring at a $1000 girl item.

If I wanted to 'man up', I could spend the money tomorrow (with consequence of unilateral action) but what would be the fun in that?

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It was more tongue in cheek really. Calm down tiger. ;)
    I get family budgets et. al.

11. fanbrain macrumors 6502

fanbrain

720p is HD. 480p is HD. Anything progressive is technically HD.

I am in the same boat you are. ATV vs. Mini. I'm going with the Mini. It will be used as a server as well as the interface for movies, photos and iTunes. The ATV is a little slow and crippled to me.

12. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

look used.

go for an older mac mini so you can upgrade the processor in the future. the new mac mini's (which i learned from this beautiful forum) processor is soldered to the logic board.

as opposed to previous mini's which have a socketed processor. allowing you to upgrade.

so if you bought a 1.6 intel solo core. you could upgrade to a 2.33 core 2 duo.

plus now that the new mini is out - you could heckle on craigslist and get a good deal!

13. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

So 2p is HD?

Err, not quite. HD is generally accepted to be 720 lines of resolution or above, including 720i.

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

uhhhh, in American, please? :eek:

15. fanbrain macrumors 6502

fanbrain

I'll clarify. A DVD is 480i. A 480p source is considered HD (referred to as 'enhanced' sometimes) at that point. Appreciable differences don't happen until 720p/i.

16. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This probably depends on where you get your information. Some say 720p/720i is the start of HD... while others say 480p/480i are.

IE: http://www.tech-faq.com/hdtv.shtml

17. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

For me, it started at 47 inches of 1080p:)

18. sapota macrumors member

If the treasury department is fond of social networking sites such as facebook or such. A demonstration of running a web browser on a 40 inch tv screen and web surfing from the couch could have swayed the decision in your favor.

I dont own :apple:TV. AFAIK, there is no simple hack to run safari on it. or is there?