Macook pro 13" vs 15" Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by denisbarbov, Sep 6, 2013.

1. denisbarbov macrumors member

Hello, guys. I will be taking a new laptop in December. I want it to be retina. I will be using it for movies, web, documents and some light video and photo editing. For the video editing I will be using After effects and very, very little Maya 3D. I will be editing like once or twice a week of home-made videos that are like 5 minutes long max. It is just for fun. Photo editing - photoshop. Once again - LIGHT video editing. I will also bring it to school with me often. Thanks in advace. :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I prefer the 15" because of the increased screen real estate. I recommend checking both out and see if you prefer the smaller and larger laptop. I also like having a discrete GPU for the 15" MBP which gives you a bit more Oomph

3. MegForce macrumors newbie

The choice between the screen sizes depends on what you prefer and what is your budget,mostly.
    For the tasks you mentioned both the 13 and 15 inches will be fine,it is clear that the 15 inches model is way better,because it has an integrated gpu with up to 1gb of vram,but it is up to your choice and your budget limits.
    I prefer the 15'' inches version.

4. denisbarbov thread starter macrumors member

Well the difference for me between the screen size is little. I mean I have a 13" laptop and a 15". My budget is around 1600$. I will also probably get it refurbished. I have heard that the Apple certified is a good shot. :)
    I don't think I will need the dGPU because my intel pentium with integrated graphics from 2010 is almost doing the video editing. The time is not much of a big deal. The 13" though is gonna be much more easier to carry around with its 1.6kg. Is there anyone using the both to tell me if the 13" is going to be good enough for what I will be using it. :) Thanks.

5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yes.

And I wouldn't consider any 15" laptop a portable unit myself. (It's subjective). You can always plug in a cheap-assed external monitor into that 13MBP for the screen real estate.

6. MathBunny123 macrumors regular

15.4''! You get a quad core processor, a dedicated GPU and a whole bunch of extra screen real estate along with a better experience.

I mean, just look at how fast this thing is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwCmH0uHESI

Also keep in mind that you'll enjoy the larger screen for watching movies, and it is very light & portable as well!