Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palyons

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Ever since installing 10.12.2 I've had a very annoying issue for the last few days. Problems are:
Can't interact with most parts of the user interface, including, Unable to use keyboard (for the most part), however Command+Option+Escape still works, but can't use the arrow keys to select a task, can't use Enter/Return nor any other part of the keyboard.

The mouse and trackpad still function, but am unable to click on anything, the OS doesn't appear frozen, but it is frustrating to not have use of such basic functions like those. I can still see file copying dialogs and other activity in other applications.

Any insight on this would be helpful. This is a Late 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar 15", Radeon Pro 460, 1tb SSD, 2.9GHz i7

Reactions: naty2k

naty2k

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2016
I feel you man... Since I've upgraded my 15" 2016 MPB to 10.12.2 there is sadly not a single day where I'm not swearing to myself that I will return this bad boy...

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Check the Keyboard pane in System Preferences, Input Sources sub-pane. Is that set to your preferred language / input method? If not... you'll have all kinds of keyboard weirdness. Also check Shortcuts while you're at it.

kchow

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2016
Ahah I also have a 2016 15" and I have a solution to this. When that happens the keyboard is actually still functioning, it's just not showing what it's doing on the screen. So when it happens, open terminal (I press command+space to bring up spotlight, then type terminal and press enter), type "killall Dock" and press enter. Problem should be solved without a restart.

palyons

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Ahah I also have a 2016 15" and I have a solution to this. When that happens the keyboard is actually still functioning, it's just not showing what it's doing on the screen. So when it happens, open terminal (I press command+space to bring up spotlight, then type terminal and press enter), type "killall Dock" and press enter. Problem should be solved without a restart.

Yeah I found that solution too, long ago, since day one. One problem though, sometimes I'm not able to open the Terminal or Command+Tab to it, the dock becomes completely unresponsive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.