Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WalterZheng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2017
jQ2j8XW.png
(This image is pulled up from this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ialog-on-opening-any-movie-zip-files.2030204/)

It seems the new Sierra 10.12.4 Beta file verifying upon files like .pkg and .mkv or anything else is annoying too many people.

And here I find a solution to solve it by completely bypassing the System Check, which may seem to be either ANGEL or EVIL choice, and you roll the dice.

Open up terminal.app, and run this:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.LaunchServices LSQuarantine -bool NO

IMPORTANT:
1: Restart is required to make it work.
2: Be aware that this effectively disables Gatekeeper and XProtect
. (Thanks to @KALLT.)

REFERENCES:
(You will find these references are much more tasteful than this thread I'm typewriting, go ahead and you will get more.)
1. http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20091208050655947
2. http://rentzsch.tumblr.com/post/267379307/disable-and-recover-from-mac-os-xs-quarantine

Hope it helps. Good luck to anyone who's stuck at this.

UPDATED on 22 Feb:
According to @rellimjd , it seems that macOS 10.12.4 Beta 3 have fixed this?
Caz I haven't upgraded to this Beta 3 yet, I'm not sure if it did fix.

In case you need it to reverse the command above, use the following code mentioned by @KALLT
Code:
defaults delete com.apple.LaunchServices LSQuarantine

Last edited:

WalterZheng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2017
Be aware that this effectively disables Gatekeeper and XProtect.
Yeah it really did. Your rock!
However, if one suffers more from the verifying dialog than the risks it brings up when it is turned off, he will take it.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Yeah it really did. Your rock!
However, if one suffers more from the verifying dialog than the risks it brings up when it is turned off, he will take it.

Until you forget to turn it back on after the beta ends. My advice: don’t use betas if you can’t handle its bugs.

WalterZheng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2017
Until you forget to turn it back on after the beta ends. My advice: don’t use betas if you can’t handle its bugs.
Yeah.
And actually I'm a non-developer user. Story begins with the desire to try the new Nightshift feature, and just to find that this new beta give me a lesson with that annoying verifying dialog problem. Dont wanna roll back to 10.12.3, and so I got to switch to turn it off.

Thanks!

rellimjd

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2017
Yeah.
And actually I'm a non-developer user. Story begins with the desire to try the new Nightshift feature, and just to find that this new beta give me a lesson with that annoying verifying dialog problem. Dont wanna roll back to 10.12.3, and so I got to switch to turn it off.

Thanks!
Thank you for your help. Beta 3 is supposed to have fixed the issue. Now could you please help me reverse this? thank you for any help you could offer.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Thank you for your help. Beta 3 is supposed to have fixed the issue. Now could you please help me reverse this? thank you for any help you could offer.

If you used the command above, then use this:
Code:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
If you used the command above, then use this:
Code:

Files you downloaded while this was turned off won’t be quarantined, so be aware of this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.