macOS 10.12 Sierra: All The Little Things!

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by Galaxas0, Jun 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Galaxas0, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited by poiihy: Sep 25, 2016

Galaxas0 macrumors regular

For macOS 10.12 "undocumented" features & changes:
    Undocumented items only!
    Preferable with images to support your 'tidbit'.
    Because this is a wiki post, you're encouraged to add any new features to the list!
    • New space management utility
    • Disk Utility can be resized and Raid creation is back
    • You now have an option to keep folder on top when sorting by name in Finder.
    • 'Window Tabs' includes at least the following apps:
      • Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Mail, Maps, TextEdit ...
    • '+' Add Tab in Safari with a long press (maybe force press too?) shows recently closed browser tabs.
    • Safari maintains website zoom level between visits
    • Redesigned Console
    • FaceTime & QuickTime always on top option
    • Siri lowers the computer fan speed when activated to reduce microphone interference (tested on rMBP) (it's been the same for Dictation for a long time)
    • Installation wizard asks if you want to delete program package after installation
    • Option to install apps from “Anywhere” has been hidden from System Preferences (can be shown again by executing this Terminal command: sudo spctl --master-disable)
    • Notes now uses the San Francisco font instead of Helvetica
    • If Mail is in full-screen, clicking a link will open Safari in split-screen mode instead of switching away to a different Space, if a Safari window is not already open.
    • Password bullets are bigger
    Old documents that will be backed up to iCloud:
    [​IMG]

Old documents that will be deleted:
    [​IMG]

NOTE: As always this is NOT a thread for bugs, questions or troubleshooting the betas. All posts must present a new feature or function, or new behaviour not mentioned in the keynote. Please screenshot where necessary. Comments on features are welcome, but stay on topic. This is also not a thread for whining about missing features, complaining, in-fighting or personal agendas. Keep this informative and to the topic at hand.

Please use the macOS 10.12 Sierra: Post bugs and fixes here thread for discussing any problems with the new OS.

2. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

I have the developer site open ready to get the dev version. Can't wait.

3. Galaxas0 thread starter macrumors regular

I know, it just can't drop soon enough!

4. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

If we are already enrolled in the public beta, do we need to sign up again?

5. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Does anyone have a screenshot of that slide they show where all the new updates are listed together? They went so fast I barely got a chance to look at it...

6. UKgaryb macrumors regular

New File System! Apple FS which supports snapshotting etc.

7. Takuro macrumors 6502

Takuro

I guess this counts as a little thing because it explains the origin of the new macOS wallpaper, but here's the original source based on Google Images:

http://www.donsmithblog.com/2015/05/06/alabama-hills/lone-pine-peak/

The wallpaper comes from a photo taken in 2015 of Lone Pine Peak in Alabama Hills, Sierra CA. Interesting to see how Apple modified it.

8. Brad9893 macrumors 6502

Brad9893

That's not a little thing! That's a big thing!

9. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

Why is the App Store always so much slower than direct downloads? I started iOS download later.

Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 21.48.11.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 21.48.58.png

And the OTA download is almost finished too, less than a minute...

Edit: Both iOS downloads are finished and App Store still says more than 4 hours left with just about 500 KB/s.

10. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

FYI
    "A Developer Preview of Apple File System is included in OS X 10.12. The APFS on-disk volume format is pre-release and subject to change. Apple plans to document and publish the APFS volume format when Apple File System is released in 2017."

11. Takuro macrumors 6502

Takuro

So that basically means that they are pulling APFS in the release build of Sierra. They probably want to use this year's pre-release as well as next year's to iron out all the issues.

12. NazgulRR macrumors 6502

How does optimized storage work? How do iCloud-only files look like locally? Any selective sync/always keep local/always keep offline options? Very curious about it and would love to see screenshots of all the menus and options.

13. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Interesting...I had posted here asking if anyone had a screenshot of that slide they show listing all of the unmentioned changes and additions, since I thought I'd missed it, but I just went back and there was no slide like that. There was for iOS, I believe. Guess this either means there aren't any unlisted features or there are many that are still in flux at this point...we will see!

14. colonel179 macrumors member

Thanks for this thread! I can't wait to see all the stuff that's new about MacOS Sierra. I usually take part in betas, but this time I will skip it. It's great that this thread let people outside of it to learn more about new features and tidbits.

15. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Here you go:

Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 13.50.32 1.jpg

16. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Actually, it looks like that, but instead of devices supported, it's like, a list of "all the little things" they didn't cover at the event. No worries, I just rewatched the macOS portion and they definitely didn't list it. That will make this thread all the more interesting as people find new things!

17. mattburley7 macrumors 68020

screenshot of about this mac? showing 10.12 and macOS?

18. Hanterdro macrumors member

Hanterdro

Most important Question:

Can I disable that my whole computer/desktop/homedir is synced in the Cloud? I just wan't one Cloud folder where I can put the files I want in the cloud explicit (status quo).

I think this is a no brainer that Apple gives us that option, but some screenshots of that config options would be very nice :)

19. Autistic Behaviour macrumors member

Autistic Behaviour

Does anybody know if you can "sudo softwareupdate --set-catalog" to get the preview?

20. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Not sure if you can do this after posting, but you should make this a wiki post.

21. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

What a coincidence. I, too was just looking for the "little features" slide in the Mac segment, rewatched it, and didn't see it. This thread will definitely be interesting.

22. taimor macrumors newbie

I'm the only one that click "Download" on the "10.12 Developer Preview" and nothing happens ? too many people are downloading ?

23. iDemiurge macrumors 6502

iDemiurge

Could anyone check in library -> dictionaries if there are now Traditional Chinese dictionaries (chinese - english and chinese - chinese). Simplified Chinese were already there, but it seems they added traditional to iOS 10, so I wonder if it's in sierra too. Thanks loads.

24. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

is mac os sierra really called 10.12 or did they go right too mac os mac os sierra 11? would be nic if some one can post the verion # of the OS and see if it 10.12 or 11

25. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.