Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
When looking for the icon to screenshot for you, I found I had to do some more digging.

DVD player is now located in /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/.
I believe the icon is new, but I can't say I've looked at the app or used the app in many many years.

Attached is a screenshot of the about screen from DVD player. The DVD disc is the icon for the actual app.
View attachment 764608

It's new, here's what it looks like now: https://support.apple.com/guide/dvd-player/welcome-cp0cb9b5571d/mac

I'm quite surprised, I felt certain they'd can it.

Pack Leader

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2015
Does Dashboard still exist?
Any new Notifications settings? Surprised they didn't announce the iOS NC features.
Is Cover Flow...er, Gallery View...back in Safari Bookmarks like it was in the good old days?

Yes, this is more consistent with iOS. The App Store was always a weird place for it. Now all they need to do is call it "Settings."

Interesting. I'm guessing Graphite is the only one that changes the stoplight buttons, right?

Interestingly, the new UserNotifications introduced two years back was extended to Majove so I'm kind of expecting something new for notifications. I haven't downloaded the beta yet so I'm looking forward to hearing more in the "What New In User Notifications" session on Wednesday!

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/usernotifications?changes=latest_minor

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Desktop Stacks is becoming a much used and much loved feature already. Gotta love Apple for this. This is bringing me smiles each time I am using it. :D
[doublepost=1528176706][/doublepost]Something that might be of interest to people.

Dock now has Recently opened Apps. Don't know how many can it hold.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-06-05 at 11.01.24 AM.png
    Screenshot 2018-06-05 at 11.01.24 AM.png
    246.1 KB · Views: 926

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
Anyone have shots of these?

Here is the new login/lock screen. Not hugely different but more optimized for retina displays. Profile picture is bigger and higher resolution, background isn't blurred, fades in and out, and the buttons are a bit different.
[doublepost=1528177865][/doublepost]
It looks like DVD player got a 64bit makeover, is the inkserver app still 32 bit?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-13-4-and-dvd-player-app-inkserver.2109206/

Inkserver is still 32 bit.
[doublepost=1528178005][/doublepost]There is also a new Legacy Software pane in System Information for things that need to be updated to work correctly in 10.14+

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 11.42.32 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 11.42.32 PM.jpg
    879.4 KB · Views: 1,539
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 11.50.32 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 11.50.32 PM.jpg
    553.9 KB · Views: 1,396

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
2012 macs have drives and are supported by Mojave. Plus the fact that many people have SuperDrives. Why would they get rid of it?

Because it is (or was?) 32bit, for one. And they're on their way to removing 32bit app compatibility, so would have been a convenient time to get rid of it. And while you're right that 2012 Macs had optical drives and they still sell the USB SuperDrive, the days of watching DVDs on your computer are pretty much past us (and have been for years now). Not that some people don't still do it, but the vast majority of people have moved on to streaming/downloads.

Do we actually have confirmation it is 64bit now? I know there's a new icon but does it now show up in System Information->Applications as 64bit: Yes?

Reactions: afir93

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Because it is (or was?) 32bit, for one. And they're on their way to removing 32bit app compatibility, so would have been a convenient time to get rid of it. And while you're right that 2012 Macs had optical drives and they still sell the USB SuperDrive, the days of watching DVDs on your computer are pretty much past us (and have been for years now). Not that some people don't still do it, but the vast majority of people have moved on to streaming/downloads.

Do we actually have confirmation it is 64bit now? I know there's a new icon but does it now show up in System Information->Applications as 64bit: Yes?

Confirmation regarding DVD player. Yes, 64 bit it is.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-06-05 at 11.56.38 AM.png
    Screenshot 2018-06-05 at 11.56.38 AM.png
    579.3 KB · Views: 472
Reactions: Zoebe4

undsoft

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2018
If anyone does web development on their machine who may have taken the plunge, I'd be very interested to see how well Laravel Valet works with PHP, Composer, HomeBrew, MariaDB, etc...

Brew is dead
Nginx is dead
MySQL works
PHP7.2 (in console) works
composer works
npm works

Also BetterTouchTool, one of my favorite apps refuses to start.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
The traffic lights do change to gray with the graphite option selected.
View attachment 764500

They aren't even enabled by default. Have to be enabled under Preferences > Tabs. And it appears to use the same special SVG icons that pinned tabs use, which unfortunately a lot of sites still don't provide. Edit: I was mistaken, it does use standard favicons when the special SVG ones aren't present.
I have to say, graphite looks REALLY nice with dark mode.:)

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
For those wanting to use the Dynamic Desert Wallpaper that changes light to dark based on your location. It only works in normal mode. If you switch to dark mode then the wallpaper is always dark.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems new to me. If you open a file and close it with the red traffic button or Cmd-W, it shrinks back into the file icon it was opened from rather than the window just disappearing.

lukfunk

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2015
Could someone explain how the new sidebar works in finder? Does it work in column and list view? Is it toggled with cmd + I?
[doublepost=1528156709][/doublepost]Also, how does the new screenshot dialog appear? Does it appear as you hold cmd + shift or does it appear after you press cmd + shift + 4?
⌘-⇧-3 and ⌘-⇧-4 work just as they always did, except the screenshot shows up as a persistent banner. You trigger the new screenshot multi-tool using ⌘-⇧-5.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
⌘-⇧-3 and ⌘-⇧-4 work just as they always did, except the screenshot shows up as a persistent banner. You trigger the new screenshot multi-tool using ⌘-⇧-5.

While they were at it, they should have given a Touch Bar screenshot ability via GUI.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Not exactly what you want, but sites will be able to detect what appearance you are using and serve up a different version of the site. (This is how dark mode was initially discovered.)

It'll be interesting to see how this works under Apple's anti-tracking strategy of making all Macs look the same - like fonts and legacy plug-ins, would Apple be looking at obscuring this as potentially profilable data?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Don't get one thing. Accent color replaces the blue/graphite option. But only applies to background color in menus?
How do you get graphite traffic buttons then? Seems like the dark mode option has colored ones in the little image.

If you select the grey accent colour, your traffic buttons also change to graphite, regardless of whether you're using dark mode or light mode. All the other accent colour options keep the coloured traffic lights.

Reactions: potatis
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.