Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Satjiv's one click

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2022
Without getting into too much detail (please avoid snarky replies if you can't help):

I've been developing a little Node JS application and I was using reverse DNS to get the name of connected devices in the local network.

After updating to Monterey and staying in a different house for a few days, reverse DNS doesn't seem work at all anymore.

Is this caused by the router? Did the update mess something up?

My WiFi settings are the default ones (using DHCP auto, nothing manually set)

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
you can read this as snarky if you so choose, but we're just missing a lot of details to even begin speculating.

are you stating that forward resolution works from your app, but not reverse/PTR records only?

can you do both forward and reverse resolution from the OS (i.e. command prompt)? Is reverse resolution broken just for your application, or this entire system?

you mention a router. Is this actually a router? Or a NAT box? Or something else? Is there something there that has changed that you might suspect a problem specifically in this area? I'm guessing that there is since you brought it up.

You mention using DHCP over wireless ethernet, I'm assuming that you've verifyed you are getting good settings from whatever is providing you DHCP assignments, i.e. minimally stuff like IPv4 address, subnet mask, default gateway, one or more DNS servers. Can you/have you verified those basic settings?

assuming this is your Mac, and not just your application experiencing problems, what about other devices? Is DNS (both forward and reverse) working on alternate devices? Is this device the only one that is broken?

Troubleshooting over the Internet is difficult under the best of circumstances, but we need some basic details here even to begin to start.

Satjiv's one click

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2022
Not snarky at all, thanks for helping. I'm all about giving as much relevant info as needed. I apologize if I'm missing something obvious I'm not very knowledgeable about all the little details.

It appears that reverse resolution is broken for the entire system. After posting, I tested my application on another Windows computer and that didn't work also so it must be a router thing.

I think you might be right about the router not providing the right settings. But I must admit I don't have an idea of how to solve it manually.

So at least I now know that MacOS Monterey isn't the problem.

AlumaMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2018
I'm making a lot of assumptions here, but you state you were getting reverse DNS records for devices on the local network. Now that you are in a different location you these local lookups fail. Was there a DNS server running at your previous location? Maybe on your router or on a NAS? Did you setup the PTR records for naming the local devices?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.