Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado

⬅️ macOS 14 (Developer Beta 6 / Public Beta 4)

Release Date ― August 22, 2023 (14 Days)
Build Number ― 23A5328b
Update Size Intel ― Pending (From 14.0 Beta 4)
Update Size Apple Silicon ― Pending (From 14.0 Beta 4)
macOS Storage Size after updating: Pending
Apple Silicon System Firmware Version ― 10151.1.1
T2 BridgeOS System Firmware Version ― 21.16.360.5.1,0

New Features & Changes
Resolved Issues
New Issues
Remaining Issues

• Spotlight is missing its borders when you have nothing typed in
Untested Issues
  • Alarms may not play when your display is asleep for a long period of time (FB10086690)
    • Workaround: Make your display not fall asleep in Settings > Lock Screen > Turn display off on ____ when inactive. You can turn your brightness off.
    • Issue present since macOS 13.0
Additional Notes
  • Please know, Memory Management has always been an issue on any OS (not just Apple's). If you believe there is a Memory Leak, please go to the Apple Menu > Restart > Restart to fix it.
  • When a new macOS release comes out, all issues automatically go to "Untested Issues" until they are moved by someone. Issues that stay in Untested for 3 releases (beta or smooth) will be removed from all future threads. When there is a new macOS release, please be sure to let us know about the issue's status by moving it to either "Remaining Issues" or "Resolved Issues"
  • macOS 14 Sonoma will be installed via a Delta Update in System Settings. Please be aware about this and the update won’t install with an installer.
  • macOS 14 is officially supported on the following devices. If your device is not listed below, it has unfortunately been dropped by Apple. Any efforts of trying to get your Mac running macOS 14, including bugs should be discussed in this thread.
    • MacBook Air: 2018, 2019, Intel 2020, M1, M2
    • MacBook Pro: 2018, 2019, Intel 2020, M1, M1 Pro/Max, M2, M2 Pro/Max
    • Mac mini: 2018, M1, M2, M2 Pro
    • iMac: Pro 2017, 4K 2019, 5K 2019, 5K 2020, M1
    • Mac Pro: 2019, M2 Ultra
    • Mac Studio: M1 Max/Ultra, M2 Max/Ultra
  • macOS Somona Preview
  • macOS 14 Release Notes
  • Apple Security Updates
  • Become an Apple Beta Tester

Feel free to add in any issues or new features that you have spotted in this release by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Last edited:

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
On my rMBP 13" 2018:

Sonoma beta 5:

BoorROM: 2019.0.0.0
iBridge: 21.16.333.5.4,0
OS Loader Version: 580-302

Sonoma beta 6:

BootROM: 2020.0.1.0.0
iBridge: 21.16.360.5.1,0
OS Loader Version: 580-411

Jakimo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
Has anyone yet tested for SMS sync from iPhone to Mac and vice versa? I went back to Ventura (for this reason) and haven't stepped back in, so I have no way of checking..

MakaniKai

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2023
My wallpaper has automatically changed to the new live Sonoma wallpaper (the one where you are flying over fields). I like this wallpaper, it's very peaceful.

Has anyone yet tested for SMS sync from iPhone to Mac and vice versa? I went back to Ventura (for this reason) and haven't stepped back in, so I have no way of checking..

I've been using messenger on Sonoma, iOS 17, and iPadOS 17 with no issues. The messages come across on all devices even when chatting with Android users.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Curious if this build continues the fix or breaks location Services?

There are reports of the 13.6 RC breaks locations again.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
Curious if this build continues the fix or breaks location Services?
Location Services are fine in Sonoma, it was a Ventura issue.

In macOS 13.6, they probably didn't port the changes over, and it will likely get fixed again in the next RC. Security Update Mode post for Ventura will be up when 13.6 releases.

• Love
Reactions: hovscorpion12

DICK_CHENEY

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2021
This update broke Mullvad VPN for me. It says connected, but when connected, nothing will load.
Pretty sure I'm having a similar issue with them at the moment. It says connected, but it's running at full speed as if there's no VPN going at all.

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
Anyone else here seeing the Widget editor crash as soon as you open it? When I select "edit widgets" from the contextual menu or sidebar the widget panel opens and then immediately crashes. I haven't seen this behaviour in earlier seeds.

mvrlogins

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
the "Find My" desktop widget does not show People, only shows Items.

I had a Person widget on my desktop before this update. After the update it was blank. I tried to edit it but the widget now only allows you to add Items, not People.

KibJ

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2019
the "Find My" desktop widget does not show People, only shows Items.

I had a Person widget on my desktop before this update. After the update it was blank. I tried to edit it but the widget now only allows you to add Items, not People.
The find my widget has been split into 2 different widgets, one for items and one for people; you will have to add a new widget for people.

ps3zocker

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Bildschirmfoto 2023-08-23 um 12.57.16.png

The panels in Control Center have noticeably reduced shadows in this beta. Looks much better, it was a bit harsh in the last few macOS versions.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2023-08-23 um 12.59.11.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2023-08-23 um 12.59.11.png
    362.1 KB · Views: 90

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
My wallpaper has automatically changed to the new live Sonoma wallpaper (the one where you are flying over fields). I like this wallpaper, it's very peaceful.
It is indeed lovely, although I’d love this to be dynamic somehow and dark at night.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Location Services are fine in Sonoma, it was a Ventura issue.

In macOS 13.6, they probably didn't port the changes over, and it will likely get fixed again in the next RC. Security Update Mode post for Ventura will be up when 13.6 releases.

Thank you!!!

rut2804

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2023
Has anyone noticed issue with a lan connection?
I want to use LAN and WLAN at the same time.
After one of the earlier beta updates Sonoma won't connect if lan is activated.
Independent if WLAN works properly.
Tried to activate LAN after I have checked that everything works fine with WLAN.
And the connection stopped. To internal devices and also to the internet.
Deactivation of LAN makes, once more, everything working.
Thanks for any hint.

Jakimo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
Anyone else here seeing the Widget editor crash as soon as you open it? When I select "edit widgets" from the contextual menu or sidebar the widget panel opens and then immediately crashes. I haven't seen this behaviour in earlier seeds.
Yep, I'm glad I'm not alone. Finally decided to jump back onto Sonoma from Ventura last night.. and all looks pretty well so far, except for contextual clicking the desktop to Edit widgets

First launch seemed to work on loading a list of available things, then crash. Ever since, immediate crash on launch. I wonder if a particular app on my iPhone is causing the crash? (again, it was working fine as it was loading the list at some point as it was populating it crashed)

Has anyone else figured out a way to fix?

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2007
Nope. Everything was fine until updating to latest beta. I had both Ethernet and WiFi connected at the same time, but after reading above, I disabled Ethernet and restarted the computer without any relief.

Jakimo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
Gotcha, hope you find a fix.. mine is fine

For me, the only problem I'm seeing so far: Desktop widgets crashing. Created a new user to test, crashes there too (without being signed into Apple ID)

rut2804

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2023
Nope. Everything was fine until updating to latest beta. I had both Ethernet and WiFi connected at the same time, but after reading above, I disabled Ethernet and restarted the computer without any relief.
Tried several things in the meanwhile.
Changing the networking sequence to WLAN first and LAN second, solved my problem.
Not the preferred final solution but works for the moment

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.