Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FarSawreyLandscape

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2020
UK
I've had issues since upgrading from a 2015 MBP to the 2019 16". I'm getting all sorts of weird sleep wake problems as follows:

- Kernel panics on wake
- Losing 40% battery when lid closed overnight
- Laptop getting warm when closed, as a result of the above
- Built-in keyboard & trackpad not working after wake
- Display not turning on when lid opened

I've been experimenting with pmset settings to find a fix and I think I found something that works, which might be worth a try for you guys. Set tcpkeepalive, proximitywake and ttyskeepawake all to 0 (sudo pmset -a ___ 0).

2 days now and no issues. Of course, it could just be a coincidence, but I'm hoping this is a temporary fix until Apple release 10.15.6.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately hasn’t resolved my Kernel Panic issues.

FarSawreyLandscape

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2020
UK
Mac OS 10.15.6 beta 3 supposedly fixes these issues. Anyone knows more?

I have tried 10.15.6 beta 3 and it has not resolved the PowerPlay panics (either the sleep wake resume or restart initialize ones).

I have not had a watchdog panic since installing beta 3 yesterday but those are random for me so can't guarantee if they are gone or not.

o6uoq

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2010
Mac OS 10.15.6 beta 3 supposedly fixes these issues. Anyone knows more?

I've installed 10.15.6 public beta 3 and have not had a GPU crash, kernel panic / watchdog panic for 24+ hours now. I'm not convinced but if it breaks 2-3 days without an issue, I am hoping that Apple has finally fixed this issue.

This comes literally the same time as I've agreed to replace this MBP and they will send me a replacement. Even considered sending it back for a refund to buy the MBP which comes with the 5600M.

My current Mac is a MBP 16" 8GB 5500M. Same issues as others with kernel panics when coming in/out of sleep mode when docked to my USB-C adaptor (Anker) and attached to an external monitor (HDMI).

Question: when is 10.15.6 released? I don't want to run on beta 3 for much longer :)

nwnmacman

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2020
London, England
Writing from a brand new 2019 MBP 16 — getting these crashes and it's driving me insane. I'm running on dual 4K — one is LG USB C one is the older model LG DisplayPort to USB C. Has anyone sorted this yet?

I only upgraded so it could handle the monitors; but it seems like the 13" dual core was better!
[automerge]1593802253[/automerge]
I've installed 10.15.6 public beta 3 and have not had a GPU crash, kernel panic / watchdog panic for 24+ hours now. I'm not convinced but if it breaks 2-3 days without an issue, I am hoping that Apple has finally fixed this issue.

This comes literally the same time as I've agreed to replace this MBP and they will send me a replacement. Even considered sending it back for a refund to buy the MBP which comes with the 5600M.

My current Mac is a MBP 16" 8GB 5500M. Same issues as others with kernel panics when coming in/out of sleep mode when docked to my USB-C adaptor (Anker) and attached to an external monitor (HDMI).

Question: when is 10.15.6 released? I don't want to run on beta 3 for much longer :)
Updating to beta 3 now!

Last edited:

nwnmacman

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2020
London, England
OK so there's good news and bad news. Bad news is I accidentally updated to Big Sur whilst trying to go to Catalina beta 3. But the 16" is now silent, fans are quiet. Even with a monitor. It seems pretty smooth and no random shut downs. So looks like they've sorted a lot of the issues! I don't want to stay on Big Sur though as it's my main machine, but thought I'd pass the info on :)

Reactions: AMTYVLE

RRF985

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2013
I'm glad I found this thread. I just got my new MBP a few days ago and a new external monitor. I've been having this issue. I'm hoping that this is fixed with 10.15.6 or at the latest with Big Sur. Sad to see these issues but I do love my new MBP.

FarSawreyLandscape

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2020
UK
I have tried 10.15.6 beta 3 and it has not resolved the PowerPlay panics (either the sleep wake resume or restart initialize ones).

I have not had a watchdog panic since installing beta 3 yesterday but those are random for me so can't guarantee if they are gone or not.

Just to follow up and confirm, I am still getting "userspace watchdog timeout" panics with 10.15.6 Beta 3. This is in addition to the PowerPlay panics at wake or startup.

Ironically, the last watchdog panic came when trying to select the amphetamine keep awake session, which is the only workaround to avoid the PowerPlay panics!!!

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
I wonder if Apple would read threads on MacRumors, or if they only read issues listed on the official Apple Forums?

nwnmacman

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2020
London, England
An update from me: since I did a fresh install of Catalina I've been fine. I'm also running the monitors on "default for display" which is 1920 x 1080 and the MBP 16" has been silent and pretty relaxed. I also haven't had any crashes. I read somewhere that it could be Dropbox and/or Google Drive so I haven't reinstalled them either.

Will see how I get on once I install them later today/tomorrow & scale down the monitors!

nwnmacman

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2020
London, England
Guys — are you using Dropbox or Google Drive? I did a fresh Catalina install and didn't reinstall those, also turned off power nap and I've been fine for two days now

o6uoq

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2010

I've been running 10.15.6 public beta 3 now for a few days and zero crashes. I've been playing with locking and screen savers and docking and undocking and all sorts, so far so good. I do have my power options to "never wake the screen" but I had crashes before when that was set. I will try changing that and see if it changes anything, however so far so good with public beta 3! I'm on a 8GB 5500M which will soon be returned in favour of a 5600M :)

digitaldoughall

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2020
Hey everyone! Glad to know its not just me but very sorry to hear you are all experiencing this annoying issue. I have a brand new iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019) and persistently getting the same issue described crashing every morning when i wake it up! - Was thinking of returning it/trying to get them to send me a new one but maybe I'll wait it out as its clearly an issue effecting many users.
tried the following and still persisting.
1. Reset NVRAM
2. Reinstall OS from recovery
On apple support phone line for an hour waiting tonight and have given up.
new fixes have tried:
have external drive (i was using for backups) and disabled all sleep mode options based on advice on this thread so will give that a go and report back.
I also have dropbox installed and have a selective sync, which I'm wondering if that might be causing the issue so have paused syncing tonight... to see if that makes a difference!

One other question - has anyone else been experiencing an unresponsive mouse - my new one randomly stops working (even when charged) so i've taken to using my old mouse.. wondered if this was effecting other imac users with sleep/wake issue as well!

Contrary2020

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2020
Bought a 16"-2.3G-8-Intel-i9-16GB -AMD-5500- on 15.5 and it crashed too- have it for one week now- at least I can feel like I'm not the only one dealing with the trauma- I really like the one post about loading the stimulants to perhaps eliminate the sleeping failures- Tech Support had no idea about anything when I called on Monday- like yesterday-9:30am- so thanks to the posts on here- I'll see if turning off the "auto sleep" options help- sure hope it does! I did not re-install the OS. Maybe it just crashed from this latest install of auto-update that was just accomplished on this Monday. It was on 15.5, when I spoke to Tech Support during Monday am. so I can't confirm if laptop had crashed during a 15.5 update. Last night I had unplugged the laptop, and had selected shut down before closing the lid, and unplugged it. This morning it was ok with just a log-in. I had not turned the sleep options off. I just did that after reading the posts here- a to-be-safe-precautionary-move. See what happens. in the new world of "maybe it works/maybe it doesn't/regardless of how much you paid for anything world"! The new normal Trauma Ward.

Last edited:

GMcBride

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
Guys — are you using Dropbox or Google Drive? I did a fresh Catalina install and didn't reinstall those, also turned off power nap and I've been fine for two days now

Well - I am running Google Drive. I'll uninstall. Hopefully that's enough to eliminate the problem without trying to do a reinstall of the OS.

GMcBride

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
Well - I am running Google Drive. I'll uninstall. Hopefully that's enough to eliminate the problem without trying to do a reinstall of the OS.

Actually running DropBox as well - I'll uninstall that since I don't even use it anymore. Looks like i've had it installed for several years, just carrying it over from OS X upgrade to the next. There are remnants of DropBox all over my system.

GMcBride

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
Actually running DropBox as well - I'll uninstall that since I don't even use it anymore. Looks like i've had it installed for several years, just carrying it over from OS X upgrade to the next. There are remnants of DropBox all over my system.

And it wasn't DropBox. Gave that an install and the machine rebooted / crashed after it went to sleep with the same error message.

Off to uninstall Google Drive/Sync.

TerribleLizard

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2020
I too am having a similar problem: MBP died in its sleep. This is a high end 16 in MBP with attached Thunderbolt and Apple Cinema displays via Caldigit T3+ dock.

The traceback looks like this:
Code:
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff800889167c): Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while calling power state change callbacks. Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IOThunderboltFamily. Thread 0x80ddb.
Backtracing specified thread
Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address
0xffffff83b322b900 : 0xffffff80082458f8
0xffffffa3c7bebc80 : 0xffffff80081413f1
0xffffffa3c7bebcf0 : 0xffffff800813fc2f
0xffffffa3c7bebd40 : 0xffffff8008130800
0xffffffa3c7bebd80 : 0xffffff800882ccac
0xffffffa3c7bebdc0 : 0xffffff800882e18b
0xffffffa3c7bebdf0 : 0xffffff7f88f3dffa
0xffffffa3c7bebe10 : 0xffffff7f88f3deeb
0xffffffa3c7bebe30 : 0xffffff80088148a4
0xffffffa3c7bebea0 : 0xffffff80088146aa
0xffffffa3c7bebec0 : 0xffffff8008161565
0xffffffa3c7bebf40 : 0xffffff8008161091
0xffffffa3c7bebfa0 : 0xffffff80080c513e
      Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
         com.apple.iokit.IOThunderboltFamily(7.6.1)[3C0CDC96-7A07-3FB1-ADF1-DD839E4CB58E]@0xffffff7f88f3c000->0xffffff7f8902ffff
            dependency: com.apple.driver.AppleSMC(3.1.9)[4589419D-7CCC-39A9-9E2F-F73FE42DD902]@0xffffff7f88ba9000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task
Boot args: chunklist-security-epoch=0 -chunklist-no-rev2-dev

Mac OS version:
19F101

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 19.5.0: Tue May 26 20:41:44 PDT 2020; root:xnu-6153.121.2~2/RELEASE_X86_64
Kernel UUID: 54F1A78D-6F41-32BD-BFED-4381F9F6E2EF
Kernel slide:     0x0000000007e00000
Kernel text base: 0xffffff8008000000
__HIB  text base: 0xffffff8007f00000
System model name: MacBookPro16,1 (Mac-E1008331FDC96864)
System shutdown begun: NO

FarSawreyLandscape

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2020
UK

mnott

macrumors member
May 28, 2014
I too am having a similar problem: MBP died in its sleep. This is a high end 16 in MBP with attached Thunderbolt and Apple Cinema displays via Caldigit T3+ dock.

Very similar here. Regular crashes during the day requiring a hard reset. And reliably a crash every night.

MBP late 2016 fully loaded, Samsung 49'' display using 2 display port cables, Caldigit T3+ dock.

Seems to have problems in clamshell mode, and apparently not when left open.

Graphically

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2020
Upgraded to 10.15.6. So far I've put the MBP 16" to sleep twice, with the lid down and external monitor connected and it awoke just fine, several hours later. Fingers are remaining crossed for now, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.