Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schwab

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Rochester Minnesota
I am enrolled in the Apple Beta Software Program.

I have an iMac Retina 5K, 27" 2014 4GHz Intel Core i7 running macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Beta( 18G71a) with 32GB of RAM

When I download the 6.81 GB software update and then try to install the preview macOS Catalina Beta(19A501) the installer always hangs at .... checking "(null)"

I have run diskutility on my startup discs without any errors. 3.12 TB Macintosh HD - Data is Apple APFS formatted.

I have tried changing startup discs with the same outcome.

I have reinstalled Mojave 10.14

I did have macOS Catalina 10.15 Beta 1 installed previously but Beta 3 does not install I have not been able to go back to an earlier Catalina Beta.

Suggestions are welcome....Thanks. Tom Schwab, Rochester, MN

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Can you clear up one thing for me?
When you say that you try to install the macOS -- are you booted to a bootable USB installer that you created for Catalina, or are you simply trying to run the installer app while you are booted to a full system?

schwab

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Rochester Minnesota
Can you clear up one thing for me?
When you say that you try to install the macOS -- are you booted to a bootable USB installer that you created for Catalina, or are you simply trying to run the installer app while you are booted to a full system?

I am simply trying to run the installer app while I am booted to a full system
[doublepost=1562967419][/doublepost]I am using the Built-In Software Update Program

Since the first successful Catalina Beta install I have TWO startup disks.

Macintosh HD with macOS 10.15 (19487m)

and Macintosh HD-Data with macOS 10.14.6 (18G71a)

Macintosh HD will not start so I am booted up from Macintosh HD-Data

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I recommend that you make a USB bootable installer from your downloaded installer app.
Do you need help with that? It's a simple task in the terminal.
Use THAT to try the install.

You DO know that the Macintosh HD-Data was created for use by the Catalina system (Macintosh HD write-only volume for the system files, and the Macintosh HD-Data volume for your files and apps.) You messed up the Catalina install by installing Mojave on that Data volume.
Try the USB bootable. If that doesn't fix up the Catalina install (which is doubtful at this point), then your best way forward is to erase the drive, reinstall Catalina (or Mojave might be better for you) then import your apps and files from your pre-Catalina backup. You DO have a pre-Catalina backup, correct? (This is a beta, and still an early one. You get to expect some glitches, sometimes some that stop you in your tracks. This is where that pre-Catalina backup might just be important :cool:

oatman13

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2013
I am simply trying to run the installer app while I am booted to a full system
[doublepost=1562967419][/doublepost]I am using the Built-In Software Update Program

Since the first successful Catalina Beta install I have TWO startup disks.

Macintosh HD with macOS 10.15 (19487m)

and Macintosh HD-Data with macOS 10.14.6 (18G71a)

Macintosh HD will not start so I am booted up from Macintosh HD-Data
Looks like you downgraded your data volume at some point back to Mojave. The installer allowing you to do that in the first place is a bug.

You'll need to erase your drive and do a clean install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.