macOS Catalina Tips and Tricks Worth Knowing

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

macOS Catalina, the newest version of the software that runs on the Mac, is set to come out in just a few weeks. macOS updates don't often receive as much attention as iOS updates, so there are some macOS Catalina features that may have gone under the radar.

We've covered major new additions in macOS Catalina in beta posts and our roundup, but we thought it would be worth highlighting some of the smaller changes and tweaks that are worth knowing about.

- Notes Sharing - In the Notes app, there are new sharing options that let you share an entire folder of notes or share a note in a view-only capacity, so someone can see it but not edit it.

- Easy Multitasking - If you hover over the green button on any app, there's an option to tile it to the left or the right, which sends it to one side of the screen so you can open another app right next to it for quick multitasking. You can also use this feature to send an app fullscreen, of course.

- Signing Documents - In macOS Catalina, if you need to sign a PDF or another document, you can do so with your iPhone or iPad. Just use the Markup menu inside of Preview, choose Signature, and then create signature. You can sign right on your touchscreen after selecting an iOS device.

- One-Click Unsubscribe in Mail - There's a new feature in the Mail app that puts a handy little unsubscribe link right at the top of mailing list emails so you can get off of mailing lists quick.

- Picture in Picture - In Safari, there's an option to enter picture in picture mode by clicking on the little sound icon that's up in the navigation bar and selecting the "Picture in Picture" option. This pulls out the video window so you can watch while you browse the web. Picture in Picture is also now available inside QuickTime (just click the Picture in Picture button in the navigation controller).

- Automatic Dark Mode - macOS Mojave brought Dark Mode, but in macOS Catalina, there's a new "Auto" option that will swap between Dark Mode and Light Mode in the mornings and the evenings. You can turn it on by opening up System Preferences and going to the General tab.

- Relocated Apple ID and Device Syncing - macOS Catalina splits iTunes into Music, TV, and Podcasts, which means some iTunes features have been relocated. Device syncing is now handled through the Finder app when an iPhone or iPad is connected, and managing your Apple ID is now done in System Preferences.

- iCloud File Sharing - In iCloud Drive, there's now an option to share entire iCloud folders with another user. Just right click on a folder and choose share.

- iCloud File Deletion Tweaks - You can remove downloads from your Mac without deleting them from iCloud in Catalina. Right click on a file and select the "Remove Download" option. This will make it available only on iCloud, with a little iCloud icon denoting that it's no longer on your machine.

Have other tips and tricks worth knowing that we didn't include in the video? Let us know about them in the comments.

Article Link: macOS Catalina Tips and Tricks Worth Knowing

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Some good things coming to Catalina!
Love the iCloud File Deletion Tweak. Not entirely as good as a non-sync backup folder in iCloud, but this comes close!
Signing docs with your iOS device is cool too.

miniroll32

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2010
Wasn’t the one-click to unsub from emails already present? Or am I missing something?

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Wasn’t the one-click to unsub from emails already present? Or am I missing something?
I think it was introduced some years back and then removed. I haven’t seen the option in iOS or macOS Mail for some time now. Maybe it’s being brought back after some retooling?

Keymaster

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2003
Yes, I see it too...it may be some kind of preference setting, if you had an older version of OS X with this then it shows up, if you never saw it before you won't see it until Catalina comes out.

BWhaler

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
Wow, didn't know about the picture in picture. It works everywhere now.
Does this allow for YouTube videos to play without staying in the app or on the web page? So annoying Google limits this unless you pay $180/year in addition to they can better spy on you—the real cost.
[doublepost=1567037964][/doublepost]
Nice. This brings me one step closer to being able to get rid of Dropbox once and for all.
I just dumped Dropbox. Too expensive. Too invasive on the Mac. Too slimy by asking to upload files and pics and screenshots all the time. And now focused on a new idea which I don’t want to pay for.

Loved Dropbox back in the day. But good riddance.

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
Most likely will use auto dark mode to match my phone when I upgrade to iOS 13.

Edit: also sharing entire folders via iCloud is very welcomed.

Johnny907

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014

macOS Catalina, the newest version of the software that runs on the Mac, is set to come out in just a few weeks. macOS updates don't often receive as much attention as iOS updates, so there are some macOS Catalina features that may have gone under the radar.

We've covered major new additions in macOS Catalina in beta posts and our roundup, but we thought it would be worth highlighting some of the smaller changes and tweaks that are worth knowing about.

- Notes Sharing - In the Notes app, there are new sharing options that let you share an entire folder of notes or share a note in a view-only capacity, so someone can see it but not edit it.

- Easy Multitasking - If you hover over the green button on any app, there's an option to tile it to the left or the right, which sends it to one side of the screen so you can open another app right next to it for quick multitasking. You can also use this feature to send an app fullscreen, of course.

- Signing Documents - In macOS Catalina, if you need to sign a PDF or another document, you can do so with your iPhone or iPad. Just use the Markup menu inside of Preview, choose Signature, and then create signature. You can sign right on your touchscreen after selecting an iOS device.

- One-Click Unsubscribe in Mail - There's a new feature in the Mail app that puts a handy little unsubscribe link right at the top of mailing list emails so you can get off of mailing lists quick.

- Picture in Picture - In Safari, there's an option to enter picture in picture mode by clicking on the little sound icon that's up in the navigation bar and selecting the "Picture in Picture" option. This pulls out the video window so you can watch while you browse the web. Picture in Picture is also now available inside QuickTime (just click the Picture in Picture button in the navigation controller).

- Automatic Dark Mode - macOS Mojave brought Dark Mode, but in macOS Catalina, there's a new "Auto" option that will swap between Dark Mode and Light Mode in the mornings and the evenings. You can turn it on by opening up System Preferences and going to the General tab.

- Relocated Apple ID and Device Syncing - macOS Catalina splits iTunes into Music, TV, and Podcasts, which means some iTunes features have been relocated. Device syncing is now handled through the Finder app when an iPhone or iPad is connected, and managing your Apple ID is now done in System Preferences.

- iCloud File Sharing - In iCloud Drive, there's now an option to share entire iCloud folders with another user. Just right click on a folder and choose share.

- iCloud File Deletion Tweaks - You can remove downloads from your Mac without deleting them from iCloud in Catalina. Right click on a file and select the "Remove Download" option. This will make it available only on iCloud, with a little iCloud icon denoting that it's no longer on your machine.

Have other tips and tricks worth knowing that we didn't include in the video? Let us know about them in the comments.

Article Link: macOS Catalina Tips and Tricks Worth Knowing
The only tip you need to know about Catalina: Don’t install this dumpster fire.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
"- Signing Documents - In macOS Catalina, if you need to sign a PDF or another document, you can do so with your iPhone or iPad. Just use the Markup menu inside of Preview, choose Signature, and then create signature. You can sign right on your touchscreen after selecting an iOS device".

The only officially valid signature is the one made with a valid digital certificate. Can macOS Catalina do that? How? It can be done with specific applications for that or general ones like Adobe Acrobat Pro DC for Mac.

breather

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
Sweden
www.weine.se
Is this something you could do on iOS too??

hellosil

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
Question: with iCloud File Sharing, is it a shared folder from then on? (Can the other person put files in there, that'll show up in my iCloud Drive?

martinlk

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
Aalborg, Denmark
The current implementation of this in Mojave is much more elegant, is it not? Maybe they changed it just so you can also send to your iPad. The article makes it sound like you couldn't have two fullscreen apps side-by-side before Catalina, which is obviously wrong.

nvmls

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2011
Thanks MR, great stuff as usual, except for the sponsor part, but you gotta eat we get it. :apple:

Ruggy

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2017
Yes it is.
[doublepost=1567144279][/doublepost]Sharing notes will be useful. If you want to send private info to your other half like a password or bank account number then you don't want to do that in a message or an email so having a secure note shared will be invaluable.

I still mess the bounce feature on mail. I wish they'd bring that back.
I don't know if it actually did anything but it just felt so good!

Ruggy

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2017
Does this allow for YouTube videos to play without staying in the app or on the web page? So annoying Google limits this unless you pay $180/year in addition to they can better spy on you—the real cost.
[doublepost=1567037964][/doublepost]

I just dumped Dropbox. Too expensive. Too invasive on the Mac. Too slimy by asking to upload files and pics and screenshots all the time. And now focused on a new idea which I don’t want to pay for.

Loved Dropbox back in the day. But good riddance.
I have a useful tip if you use Duckduckgo as your search engine.
If you search for a Youtube video in Duckduck go under the 'Videos' section, then you will be presented with a small screen that explains that Google don't allow you to connect to Youtube anonymously and do you want to view the video here?

If you view it on Duckduck go then it doesn't play any ads- well at least I've never seen any but I'm not a huge Youtube user, maybe there are some eventually.
There is still a setting to play full screen so I don't see a down side.

Reactions: notrack