Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carbontune

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2018
United Kingdom
Having used CleanMyMac 3 for several years on my Mac mini, I've elected not to install it on my iMac. I gut used to cleaning my Mac once a week and never has an issue other than a ton of disk space being freed and the ability to 'properly' uninstall apps that I no longer need.

Does macOS do a decent job of keeping the disk clean by itself. I presume there are background jobs running to do this. What about cleaning up after uninstalling apps?

Reactions: Éric 69

sensed

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2018
I am a Mac newbie and want to know - is it a Yes or a No? Previous comments are contradictory... Any other opinion would be appreciated!

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
yesno. since 1999, i have not found a clean up software i used frequently or used on a regular basis. i think they all look and have the same names. I think "clean my mac" or "maccleaner" cleared permissions when installed highest sierra last july. if you are happy with macmy3clean, you answered your question.

Ifitaintbrokedontfixit

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2018
Clean-up apps are not necessary, and sometimes buggy.

I agree that clean-up apps are not necessary. See, for example: The myth of the dirty Mac.

The System Information app that is part of macOS can be used to reclaim storage space on your Mac. See, for example, these help pages from Apple Support: Find and delete files on your Mac and Optimize storage space on your Mac.

If after reading all of the above, you still insist on using a clean-up app, choose one based on a review in a reputable publication such as Macworld (for example, The best Mac clean-up utilities), since some of the apps in this genre are malware or spyware (for example, Dr Cleaner).

Ifitaintbrokedontfixit

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2018
I am using TunesBro CleanGeeker and it does a nice job for cleaning

TunesBro CleanGeeker is a new app that was only released a month ago, and the official web page for the app is riddled with grammatical errors, which may be a red flag warning about the quality of the app.

As I noted above, I would advise against using any app such as this one unless it has received a positive review in a reputable publication such as Macworld, since some of the apps in this genre are malware or spyware (or are just junk software). TunesBro CleanGeeker has not yet been positively reviewed in a reputable publication, and it's not in the App Store either, so it's not Apple-approved. I would highly recommend staying away from it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.