Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
On a 2016 MBP I get this error when trying to install Mojave beta 1.

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Are you able to post a photo? I've had that issue in the past if an install was interrupted and there are staging install files in a folder at /macOS\ Installation\ Data. Try rebooting to High Sierra and check root for anomalous files

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Are you able to post a photo? I've had that issue in the past if an install was interrupted and there are staging install files in a folder at /macOS\ Installation\ Data. Try rebooting to High Sierra and check root for anomalous files
Could it have something to do with having had a Time Machine disk plugged in while trying to update?
[doublepost=1528158997][/doublepost]Never mind, that didn’t help. Now how do I check root or what not?
[doublepost=1528159055][/doublepost]Here’s an image

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 626

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Could it have something to do with having had a Time Machine disk plugged in while trying to update?
[doublepost=1528158997][/doublepost]Never mind, that didn’t help. Now how do I check root or what not?

Reboot to your other OS (or boot from your backup drive), and navigate to /Volumes/[ROOT VOLUME]

For example, I have several installs. Currently installing Mojave now. My mac will look like this:
/Volumes/Macintosh\ HD (contain a working High Sierra install)
/Volumes/macOS\ Mojave\ beta
/Volumes/Install\ macOS\ Mojave\ beta

Reboot, hold option and select your other, working bootable partition. If you installed Mojave as the only bootable OS on that computer, boot to target disk mode and use another computer to explore the drive (https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201462).

If you do not have another computer, erase your mac, reinstall High Sierra and restore from your backup. Then try the update again.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I just checked, and there’s only three terminal scripts in that folder.

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
I just checked, and there’s only three terminal scripts in that folder.

Can you take another photo, or tell me what they say?

Looking at your first image it looks like there is a partial High Sierra install on the disk as well as the Mojave install. I'd suggest a visit to the Genius Bar. They don't support beta macOS, but will be able to reinstall High Sierra quickly for you if you don't feel confident doing it yourself. Otherwise you could trying re-installing from recovery (https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht204904).

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Can you take another photo, or tell me what they say?

Looking at your first image it looks like there is a partial High Sierra install on the disk as well as the Mojave install. I'd suggest a visit to the Genius Bar. They don't support beta macOS, but will be able to reinstall High Sierra quickly for you if you don't feel confident doing it yourself. Otherwise you could trying re-installing from recovery (https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht204904).

Does it matter that my High Sierra install was APFS?

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
It shouldn't, but I'm only just installing Mojave myself!

Got this sorted out. Reinstalled High Sierra (clean), then installed Mojave over top the clean instal.

One thing that I'm unclear on -- can I restore from a Time Machine backup of my original High Sierra partition, or would that mess things up again?

Reactions: g35

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Got this sorted out. Reinstalled High Sierra (clean), then installed Mojave over top the clean instal.

One thing that I'm unclear on -- can I restore from a Time Machine backup of my original High Sierra partition, or would that mess things up again?
It should be ok. Beta systems aren't designed for your daily driver though, so expect a few reinstalls before Apple releases 10.14 in the fall!

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I have a late 2012 Mini.

I downloaded the beta, used the terminal to create a USB installer on an 8gb flashdrive. That seemed to go well enough.

I booted to the USB installer, no problems there.
Then tried installing to an external USB platter-based hard drive.

The install seemed to be going normally until it looked like it was getting close to completion, then I got the "macOS could not be installed on your computer" error (as in post 3 above). Sorry, I didn't take note of the error number.

I'll try to build another installer using Boot Buddy and see if that makes a difference.

I was booted to Low Sierra when I created the USB installer.
Wondering if that could have made a difference...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.