Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

bigpoppa

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2005
Seattle, WA USA
Thanks – had a look, but it's too sophisticated for me I'm afraid.
No click-a-button-&-hey-presto! solution, then?
The problem is clover and the way dosdude had to implement things in his high sierra package to make it work. Opencore gets you closer to a real Mac and survives most updates just fine.

nielshutch

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2021
Ah yes - Opencore wasn't too kindly towards Clover...
Still, anything that requires me to know what the f**k Terminal is on about confounds me (ever since my Homebrew fiasco).
But I'll bookmark Opencore, maybe read a bit more when I want to feel really stupid.
(Hopefully a High Sierra update could fix the common keyboard problem, where it acts as if the Command key is always pressed.)

bigpoppa

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2005
Seattle, WA USA
Ah yes - Opencore wasn't too kindly towards Clover...
Still, anything that requires me to know what the f**k Terminal is on about confounds me (ever since my Homebrew fiasco).
But I'll bookmark Opencore, maybe read a bit more when I want to feel really stupid.
(Hopefully a High Sierra update could fix the common keyboard problem, where it acts as if the Command key is always pressed.)
Read up on OpenCore Legacy Patcher. Probably the easiest way to implement it.

nielshutch

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2021
Download the update.

Open the update.

Move the update.pkg to Desktop.

Open Terminal.

Enter "pkgutil --expand " now AFTER THE SPACE drag and drop the .pkg from the Desktop into the Terminal window and type after ANOTHER SPACE " ~/Desktop/Expanded" hit Return and wait, this takes a little while.

Quotes are not needed.

Open Expanded folder and then open Distribution file in Text Edit

Scroll down to the line

function InstallationCheck(prefix) {

enter the text return true; so it looks like this

function InstallationCheck(prefix) {return true;

Save changes

If you are trying to install the update to an HFS+ disk then there is another alteration you can make, before flattening and creating the package.

Again in the Distribution file scroll down to

function VolumeCheck(prefix) {

again enter return true; after the bracket, so it looks like this,

function VolumeCheck(prefix) {return true;

Save changes

Go back to Terminal enter "pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/Expanded ~/Desktop/Modified.pkg"

Using the .pkg extension is crucial.

Quotes are not needed.

One thing to note is if your Mac like mine has different OS's on it on other drives this method will tell you that all drives are able to install the update, DO NOT INSTALL ON ANY DISK/ PARTITION, ONLY INSTALL TO A DISK/ PARTITION THAT HAS 10.13.X ON IT. Select your disk wisely, and double check."
I might have to...
Reading back through this thread, I found the above on p 194 (apparently it was also given on p 1).
Looks easy. Tried it. This modified installer got further than Apple's (which wouldn't do a thing), but failed at the end. Twice!

Last edited:

BwCrypto

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2024
I'm having a problem, the keyboard and mouse are not responding after upgrading to Mac OS High Sierra using dosdude1's repatching

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I'm having a problem, the keyboard and mouse are not responding after upgrading to Mac OS High Sierra using dosdude1's repatching
It depends on your model so it would be useful to list that. Some models require specific patches after macOS High Sierra is loaded. Have you run the macOS Post Install application yet?

CoolStuffZone

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2016
After installing OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra on a MacBook Pro 4,1 (via dosdude1's patcher), my trackpad has lost the ability to two finger click using the button. I can get it to work using a two finger click on the trackpad, when touch to click is enabled, but I really hate using touch to click. Are there any third party trackpad apps that could restore this lost ability...BetterTouchTool...Keyboard Maestro...USB Overdrive??? Thanks for any help.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
After installing OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra on a MacBook Pro 4,1 (via dosdude1's patcher), my trackpad has lost the ability to two finger click using the button. I can get it to work using a two finger click on the trackpad, when touch to click is enabled, but I really hate using touch to click. Are there any third party trackpad apps that could restore this lost ability...BetterTouchTool...Keyboard Maestro...USB Overdrive??? Thanks for any help.
Did you run the macOS Post Install application?

HSK_10

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2024
EDIT & UPDATE: Nevermind, I got it fixed by doing an install again. Everything works fine. Thanks Dosdude1!!

I'm currently running this MBP 5.3 on 6 gigs of ram, earlier it felt sufficient, not so much with this HS upgrade. Will it make sense to upgrade the ram to 8 gigs?

Hi there!

Reaching out to help if there's anybody here to guide.

I followed the instructions by Dosdude and got HS on my MBP 2009 (5.3). It installed alright but first the keyboard and trackpad wouldn't work. And then the System Brightness. I got the keyboard and trackpad to work but the screen brightness is still an issue. I tried all the suggestions mentioned here. And one of them removed the functionality of the brightness keys :(
Earlier, it was least showing the brightness bar but now its totally gone.

2nd issue is the blackscreen on reopening the lid. I guess when it goes off to sleep, it really does. The screen isnt lighting up.
Please Help!!

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
EDIT & UPDATE: Nevermind, I got it fixed by doing an install again. Everything works fine. Thanks Dosdude1!!

I'm currently running this MBP 5.3 on 6 gigs of ram, earlier it felt sufficient, not so much with this HS upgrade. Will it make sense to upgrade the ram to 8 gigs?
Glad you got it working.

It's not particularly speedy on my 2.26 GHz MBP5.5 with 8 GB RAM either.

Are you getting beach balls? If not, and if your Activity Monitor memory usage is always in the green, then it may just be that your machine is simply too slow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.