Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Hello,

I just got a new iMac and I see I can upgrade to macOS High Sierra but... is it compatible with the Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign and Dreamweaver)?

Anyone knows?

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
Don't do it!

High Sierra + Adobe CC is currently a recipe for disaster if you're trying to do any serious work. So many GPU-acceleration related issues and glitches.

Additionally, if you value your sanity, don't upgrade to Photoshop CC 2018 yet. There's a show stopping bug related to text where you can't adjust kerning and any text that's been transformed in any way (e.g. scaling) makes it impossible to adjust leading (line spacing).

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
Known issues - Running Illustrator CC on macOS 10.13 High Sierra
High Sierra (macOS 10.13) GPU rendering issues - Intel Graphics
Photoshop CC 2018: Character leading broken
Adobe Illustrator and InDesign Not Working Properly with High Sierra (the InDesign cursor issue is fixed at least... Illustrator is not, however)

Or just search the Adobe forums or Twitter for High Sierra + Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign or Premiere and you'll quickly come across a myriad of other issues. Save yourself a lot of frustration and don't upgrade yet.

Personally I've experienced all kinds of problems with random beachballing and bad performance, the Photoshop interface being completely blank, exports not working properly or crashing, artwork/layers/objects disappearing in Illustrator as the zoom level changes or the view is panned, combined with the bounding boxes jumping around or not being selectable at all (and that's with GPU acceleration turned off, which Adobe currently insists is a must for Illustrator on High Sierra because of GPU acceleration bugs), etc.

Not to mention if you use a 2016/2017 MacBook Pro with a discrete GPU (like I do) your GPU performance (and anything accelerated by it via Metal, OpenCL, etc - that includes Photoshop, Premiere, FCPX, etc) will be hosed if you let it go to sleep at any point - see:

2017 MBP 15 - Radeon GPU does not work after resume from long sleep
15" tMBP: External USB-C display not working properly after sleep with High Sierra
Radeon GPU issue in 2017 15" MBP

There are also a heap of rendering/compositing/windowing issues with the Intel integrated graphics (see the macOS 10.13 beta thread in this forum).

There's no advantage you'll get out of upgrading to High Sierra in its current state that could possibly outweigh the problems you'll experience as a result with Adobe CC apps.

Reactions: Tarantularock
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.