Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
OMG, to enable this software you have to enter System Preferences, answer YES on two dialogues, and also enter your password. Then it may STEAL your not encoded things stored in the keychain (by default everything is stored encoded). I think I'm going to Windows now. This is just too much!!!

/irony ended

huh? where did he enter his password in the demo? the whole thing looks pretty scary/legit to me...

Reactions: leventozler

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Ah, so Microsoft is hiring these people to expose things on release day. Nice.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
There are zero day security bugs everywhere, even in decades old code that haven't been discovered yet. Welcome to reality!

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Just downloaded the installer....and now its deleted.

I'm going to wait till 10.13.1 is out. I had a funny feeling that High Sierra might have issues with APFS, but this is news is much worse than expected!
How do you know this doesn't affect every version of macOS? Just because this guy proved it in High Sierra doesn't mean this vector isn't available in Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mountain Lion, Lion, Snow Leopard, Leopard, Tiger, Panther, Jaguar, Puma and Cheetah.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
OMG, to enable this software you have to enter System Preferences, answer YES on two dialogues, and also enter your password. Then it may STEAL your not encoded things stored in the keychain (by default everything is stored encoded). I think I'm going to Windows now. This is just too much!!!

No, sir. He just didn't sign his rogue app with a developer key. If he signed it, they'd run on a default, vanilla system. Signing the app does not mean Apple has verified the contents of the app.

catportal

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2016
What _can’t_ a non-sandboxed, unsigned application do though? If my login has the ability to see my keychain passwords (it does, and I can), shouldn’t I naturally expect any software running on my creeds has that power too?

App should only be able to see passwords associated with it. Should be a secure key exchange between app and the keychain, should NOT be able to access other app's data. Basic security 101.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
huh? where did he enter his password in the demo? the whole thing looks pretty scary/legit to me...
The video doesn’t show the step where you have to explicitly allow OSX to install external apps. Which requires you to type your password. But you only have to do this once, not for every app.

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001

To enable a non-authorized app to run, you have to enter your password. If you have made it once, the system remembers it, meaning he must have authorized the app before.

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
1. Would have been even greater if Apple had ppl who found these kind of bugs themselves before release.
2. You don't know if he found this yesterday. But sure hate on the guy who might have prevented your bank account password from ending up in the wrong hands. Jerk.

Only if you purposefully download and run some random malware. This is being totally overblown. The easy and inevitable answer for Apple is to disallow apps that don’t come from the App Store or a signed developer. If you’re downloading and installing random crap from unsigned developers, you’re at risk. Otherwise nothing to see here.

Reactions: bwintx

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
No, sir. He just didn't sign his rogue app with a developer key. If he signed it, they'd run on a default, vanilla system. Signing the app does not mean Apple has verified the contents of the app.

That's true. But the verification process should find these kind of things, right?

Hmmm, or maybe not. They're only humans after all! :eek:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Yes, this is one of the biggest misunderstandings and flaws of GateKeeper. Apps distributed through Mac App Store is obviously a lot more secure, which goes through more stringent review process and is distributed through Apple's server (instead of developer's website, which could get hacked).

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
App should only be able to see passwords associated with it. Should be a secure key exchange between app and the keychain, should NOT be able to access other app's data. Basic security 101.
You’re talking about a sandboxed app. This app is junk off the internet. It could do literally anything your user creds have the power to do.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015

/irony ended
Are you serious?

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
And Apple can do something to ensure that anything purchased through the App Store CAN’T access another app’s data. Basic security 001 is don’t install applications from outside the App Store. There’s no application that NOT on the Apple Store that has to follow basic security practices. NONE of them. In fact, some exist outside the store BECAUSE what they want to do as a basic function is something that Apple doesn’t allow. Specifically for this reason.

I still say that anytime a security exploit has to start with killing your front door guard and leaving the door wide open (bypassing GateKeeper) is not so much of a security exploit than a brain exploit. Going by this guy’s argument, the fact that I can call you on the phone to go into keychain and give me your password is asecurity exploit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.