macOS Mail vs Outlook 2016

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iMi, Jun 27, 2017.

?

Which mail client do you prefer for work?

1. macOS Mail

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Microsoft Outlook 2016

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

I haven't used Apple's native mail client or a while now. I was wondering how the two compare in the typical office setting. I have five mailboxes including some that are on MS Exchange. Outlook works well for the most part, but it has been getting slow and glitchy lately.

I remember in the past that Apple's client had issues with the text scaling incorrectly. That was unacceptable. Customers don't exactly like getting emails with freakishly large font or a signature that is ten times the normal size. Have those issues been resolved in the past couple of versions of the OS?

Which one would you choose for work and why?

2. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

The primary reason I use Outlook (Mac) 16, is due to the Calendar integration with the rest of my work environment.

Scheduling of meetings/meeting requests/availability checking etc. is far superior in the Outlook world, and some of them are simply not available outside of it. I also have a need for (a specific) language support, which is available in Outlook, and not in the Mail.app version, AFAIK.

But for those, Mail.app works a charm. I often triage my Outlook mails in Mail.app, as I find (with plugins like Mail-ActOn) that it is far quicker.

3. zen macrumors 68000

zen

I use Apple mail, but the font issues you mention still exist. Apple Mail will often display text correctly, but when you get a reply that quotes your original, you can see all kinds of formatting problems in the email you sent out.

I have tried Outlook, but the problem is it doesn't support email aliases. I have one iCloud email account with two addresses, a different name on each. The only way to "fake" the aliases in Outlook is to have two separate iCloud accounts added, one for each alias, but then it gets messy as the mailboxes end up doubling all the emails (as the accounts are accessing the same iCloud account).

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

It does support a email alias in the typical Microsoft secret convoluted fashion. Create the 2 accounts, but in order to not receive mail from the alias account type only a "z" (without quotes) in the "Incoming server:" box.

5. zen macrumors 68000

zen

How weird. I'll have to give that a go!

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

I did not know that. It works.

7. dogslobber macrumors 68030

dogslobber

Yes the font issue still exists but I’ll happily put up with that than use the soul sucking disaster that is Outlook for Mac.

8. yukari macrumors regular

What is energy impact for Outlook vs. Mail? I ask because I use MBP for all my work.
    It seems, Outlook uses quite of bit of more energy.
    I also notice Outlook is VERY slow - sometimes - on mac. I see that dreaded beachball quite often when using Outlook and is not very responsive on many occasions.