macOS Mojave and flatbed scanners

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by rjw1678, Aug 9, 2018.

1. rjw1678 macrumors newbie

rjw1678

I have an early 2013 retina MacBook Pro that I use as a music server. I installed Mojave on it. Everything works except an old Canon LiDE 25 scanner that Canon supports up thru OSX 10.6. When I move my late 2013 Mac Pro over to Mojave I am planning on buying a new flatbed scanner and I am looking for suggestions for a new flatbed scanner.

2. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

3. crjackson2134 macrumors 601

crjackson2134

^^^^ What Lou said^^^^

I have the same old LiDE 25 scanner, and I use VueScan with excellent results.

4. rjw1678 thread starter macrumors newbie

rjw1678

Thank you flowrider and crjackson2134. I tried VueScan last night and I will be purchasing it today.

5. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

6. Riwam macrumors 6502a

Riwam

It depends not only on the scanning software and on finding a driver working with your OS but also on your scanning needs.
    If just to scan paper documents is what you need, then keeping that old scanner makes sense.:rolleyes:
    However if you have greater ambitions, want also to scan with high resolutions and sometimes scan also films in different sizes, then the flatbed Epson scanners Perfection V700/V750, V800/V850 which come with Silverfast have a good reputation.
    They are bulky and expensive but quality has its price...o_O
    Ed

7. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

Thanks for posting this - downloaded for my Cannon LIDE 210 - works like a charm - instantly - easy to use too!

Canon should put this link on their web site !

8. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Will this perform better than Espon's standard drivers for still in production scanners? Sometime since Sierra, their scanning drivers slowed scanning way down...about 10 seconds+ between sheets on auto document feeders.

9. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

^^^^Download the trial version and check it out!

I've never had or used a scanner with a document feeder.

Lou

10. macmanxxx macrumors newbie

11. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Vuescan is one of the most legendary apps in the world. The guy keeps adding more support to it forever. Great tool.

12. rjw1678 thread starter macrumors newbie

rjw1678

I tried this Canon scan utility with my LiDE 25 and it could not find my LiDE 25. I have been using VueScan for 2 1/2 months and it works very good for me.

13. Panthera Tigris Altaica macrumors member

Panthera Tigris Altaica

I use multi function systems and flatbed scanners which have auto document feeders all the time. They are very useful for OCR work. My department is responsible for, among other things, setting up technical documentation. A truly amazing percentage of the technical documents we get either don't have ebook versions available, or if they do, they're poor quality PDFs. A lot of them are available as looseleaf documents. We feed them into an ADF-equipped scanner, scan in at high resolution, and feed the result to OCR and build our own EPUBs. Books which show as bound copies get sent to an intern who cuts each page out with an Xacto cutter, then stacks the pages in an ADF and OCRs them. Proof-reading and setting up tables of content, captions, figures and illustrations, tables, indexes, and such is a pain, but that's what interns are for.

14. Susja macrumors member

- Folks,
    Maybe VueScan is a great utility but I scan very occasionally and $40 is too much for me.
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks
    --- Post Merged, Dec 19, 2018 ---
    Hi,
    This worked great for me.
    Thanks a lot.
    All set now.

15. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Sorry man, it is sad that image capture is messed up. You need to join the line of people who are angry that basic stuff is ****ed up in Mojave.

Vuescan is a great anyway because it works for years and years.

16. Buadhai macrumors member

Buadhai

I have an old Lide 30. I got it working without spending the forty bucks for Vuescan by installing the TWAIN SANE drivers and writing a minimal front end for scanimage in AppleScript.

Unfortunately, Mojave broke the TWAIN SANE drivers and no one seems to have an update although, apparently, work is in progress.

And, yeah, I have a newer scanner that I can use, so getting the antique back in operation is probably not worth what Vuescan charges.