macOS Mojave on iMac constant Kernel Panics

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by c3po7, Oct 18, 2018.

1. c3po7, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018

c3po7 macrumors 6502

c3po7

Hi!

When I press Command R at boot this page about reset password appears https://i.imgur.com/JLPiu5E.jpg and then before I can do anything I get a Kernel Panic and a reboot over and over again. I can't seem to enter Recovery.

I just want to enter into the Recovery screen.

iMac Late 2015 i5 3.2Ghz 1TB Fusion 32GB RAM

macOS Mojave 10.14

And I have already unplugged everything from the iMac other than the power cable and ethernet cable (I also tried without the ethernet cable).

Someone suggested that I try Internet Recovery Mode CMD>Option>R at boot. After this the Internet Recovery seemed to load, however, again I was presented with the Password page (as in in the .jjpg above). Then I decided to select one of the options (I've now tried all 3 options) and when it attempts to unlock the volume (HD) I experience a kernel panic, every single time.

I also ran a diagnostics test (D on boot) and it returned a result of "No Issues Found'

So, it appears that any time I try to unlock the volume I experience a Kernel Panic.

Right now I cannot enter the Recovery partition, I cannot boot into Safe Mode, and when I attempt to enter Recovery Mode from Intenet Recovery Mode ... all that happens is the Password page loads (Seen in the .jpg above) and then I experience a Kernel Panic.

I have no idea what has caused this.

Any help or suggestions are really appreciated.

2. c3po7 thread starter macrumors 6502

c3po7

I guess the only option I have is to download macOS Mojave from another mac and create a bootable USB drive and re-install, then restore from time machine.

3. kagharaht macrumors 6502a

Do you know where I can send a Kernel Panic Report to Apple?

4. c3po7 thread starter macrumors 6502

c3po7

Sorry, I'm still bit of a noob to technical things like that. Someone else here might be able help.

5. SketchyClown macrumors member

SketchyClown

If you have the Time Machine backup, then yes I would go that route.

6. c3po7 thread starter macrumors 6502

c3po7

The iMac was actually surge damaged. The problem happened directly after a storm but I thought nothing of it. I ended up getting a technician to look at it and he told me it had catastrophic failure due to electrical surge damage.

7. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

In your first post you said:

Now you tell us:

You're probably looking at an expensive repair if logic board components were damaged. There is also a good possibility that the power supply may have also been damaged by the surge.

If you decide to repair it or replace it, buy yourself a good UPS with surge protection and auto shut down.

8. c3po7 thread starter macrumors 6502

c3po7

Insurance covered it, getting a new 2017 iMac 3.5ghz 27" 5k next week, luckily

9. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Great news. Make sure you buy a good UPS to go along with that new iMac. :rolleyes:;)

10. c3po7 thread starter macrumors 6502

c3po7

That's actually very wise advice I may just adhere to. I've not purchased one before. Now might be the right time