MacOS Mojave on late 2013 MacBook Pro.

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
Just wondering what performance is like for anyone who has upgraded to Majove on a late 2013 MacBook Pro. My Mac is a 13 inch 2.6ghz and 512gb flash storage drive with 8gb of ram. Wondering if I should upgrade from High Sierra or not.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
I have late 2013 rMBP. I upgraded to Beta 11 (haven't gone to public release just yet) and it's lightning fast in my experience.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
What specs are your Mac? Just curious.
CPU is in Signature. 16GB for RAM and 512GB for SSD. Not that these items are going to materially impact performance in a real world setting anyways (for comparing day to day usage of basic OS functionality). IMO Mojave is just as fast (if not faster) than High Sierra.

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
Thanks for all of your replies. I think I will update tonight. I already am using iOS 12 on all my devices and like to run the newest iOS with the newest macOS at the same time.

Reactions: Dwalls90

cobracnvt

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2017
On my 2012 MacBook Pro, it seems the same performance wise, although I sometimes see some stuttering now when minimizing and maximizing apps to the dock.

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
On my 2012 MacBook Pro, it seems the same performance wise, although I sometimes see some stuttering now when minimizing and maximizing apps to the dock.
Are you still otherwise satisfied with the upgrade? I haven’t upgraded yet because my time machine backup took a long time last night and plan to upgrade later tonight.

tresmith

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
This is my laptop...

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 8.22.23 PM.png

And it's been very smooth since installation. No hiccups at all. And I'm not seeing the issues that other people are complaining about.

I really wanted to do a clean install to avoid any issues but was too lazy so I upgraded.

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
This is my laptop...

View attachment 788856

And it's been very smooth since installation. No hiccups at all. And I'm not seeing the issues that other people are complaining about.

I really wanted to do a clean install to avoid any issues but was too lazy so I upgraded.
Thanks for your reply. Your Mac closely resembles mine except yours must be the 256gb? It’s nice to find someone on here that has about the same specs that I have. How is boot up? Is it about the same or longer? I have never done a clean install before and I originally was on Mavericks, then El Capitan, Sierra, and High Sierra and never have done a clean install. I’m thinking I will upgrade and see what happens. I have my time machine backup if anything would go wrong. Just curious if you have done clean installs before.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Thanks for your reply. Your Mac closely resembles mine except yours must be the 256gb? It’s nice to find someone on here that has about the same specs that I have. How is boot up? Is it about the same or longer? I have never done a clean install before and I originally was on Mavericks, then El Capitan, Sierra, and High Sierra and never have done a clean install. I’m thinking I will upgrade and see what happens. I have my time machine backup if anything would go wrong. Just curious if you have done clean installs before.
If you’ve never had problems, then I would just upgrade.

I turn off everything before I do clean installs. iMessage, iCloud, any service like Adobe CC, etc. I also keep my entire iTunes library on an external, while just streaming it from my Mac and getting that in order is a headache. I would only do a clean install if something wasn’t working right or if I had some performance issues.

tresmith

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014

Yes...I have 256gb. I hadn't rebooted my mac since the installation but since you asked I thought it would be a good idea to try it. Boot up was very very glitchy. I think it's because I have two external monitors for a triple screen setup. While booting up all the monitors were blinking on and off. Once it was done, everything settled down and everything was nice and smooth again. I've never done a clean install but I wanted to just to avoid any issues. I will probably do that with the next update to Mojave.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Runs totally fine for me, late 2013 rMBP 8gb ram, 2.4ghz cpu, 256 ssd

it runs just as fast as high sierra; no issues

dark mode should have come out with the retina MacBooks in 2012!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.