macOS server: VPN server and Airplay/Bonjour

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by DenBeke, Nov 16, 2016.

1. DenBeke macrumors regular

I configured the L2TP VPN server on my macOS server in a way that the connected client gets an IP in the same range as OS X server (and my router and other Macs).
    I was hoping that — since the computers are in the same subnet — Bonjour would work on the VPN and that I could use Airprint/Airplay and other services on the machine that's connected with VPN.

But this isn't the case... Any hints on this?

2. sevoneone macrumors 6502

In short: Bonjour (aka mDNS) relies on broadcast packets, which are packages of information that are 'broadcast' to all devices on a local network. Broadcast packets are usually ignored by VPN, only packets that are destined for a specific device on either end are passed through the tunnel.

You could do a Google search on 'Wide Area Bonjour', which is designed for use on large networks where there are more than one subnet/broadcast domain. It is a bit of a pain to setup, and I don't even know if it can be made to work reliably over a VPN connection.

Your best bet is to assign static IPs and/or DNS names to the devices you want to use on the server side of the tunnel. You'll be out of luck for AirPlay, but printing you can do via IP, either directly to the printer or via printer sharing in OS X. For iOS devices, there is a great app called Printer Pro that is great for IP based printing on iOS.

3. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

Kerio Control firewalls handle this with a box tick.