macOS Settings synced by iCloud

Discussion in 'macOS' started by QzzB, Feb 15, 2017.

1. QzzB macrumors regular

QzzB

Does anyone know what, if any, macOS settings are synced using iCloud? I believe a while ago certain settings were synced to iCloud but cant remember where I read it.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is more for syncing your data like Mail, Contacts, Calendar.... that sort of thing. There is an option to sync Safari so that will sync bookmarks and history. The only one that sort of syncs settings is Keychain sync. That will sync your passwords and along with that any wifi networks you have joined and their passwords.

3. QzzB thread starter macrumors regular

QzzB

There is a option for system preferences which is what I was referring to. In iCloud, click manage and scroll to the bottom. Not on my mac at the mo or would put a screenshot

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I've not seen that and I don't have that on my MacBook with Sierra.

Attached Files:

5. QzzB thread starter macrumors regular

QzzB

You haven't clicked on manage. Next to the space quota. Best I can find on the web image wise

[​IMG]

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ahh... I see what you mean now. I'm assuming this just stores your settings from System Prefs up in iCloud so they could be restored from there in a new Mac. I don't see anything in Apple's documentation really explaining this though.

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 10.34.05 AM.png

7. QzzB thread starter macrumors regular

QzzB

Yeah I'm having problems seeing what is actually stored too. I am assuiming this would work like the rest of iCloud, if I had two macs the relevant settings would sync, which is why I was wondering.

Also for backup - I tend to store all documents in iCloud, and I have most of the apps i use from the App Store, so for me to do a Time Machine is more effort than its worth, so I was wondering what I would loose, either setting wise or customisations, by not backing up and relying on iCloud syncing for recovery of my system