Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamsn00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2018
I just want to do the simplest thing you could possibly think of...

Send the content of Safari Reader, or the open/active web page in Safari, to a new note.

This should be built into Apple, but I guess they're under pressure from companies like Pocket not to allow people to do this, I don't know.

Here's my shortcut, anyone know why it doesn't work? It returns the error: The requested operation is not supported. Safari Reader is unavailable.

Why would Apple make a default option in shortcuts called "Get Article Using Safari Reader" if Safari Reader is unavailable to Shortcuts. I've tried this multiple ways over the last two years and have been unsuccessful. I've attached the current iteration.

I can't create a note from the contents/article/text/body from Safari Reader, or Current Web Page from Safari.

Attachments

• CleanShot 2022-10-02 at 12.21.33@2x.jpg
    CleanShot 2022-10-02 at 12.21.33@2x.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 551

adamsn00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2018
Look for something like Get Contents of Webpages in Shortcuts to go after the Get Current Webpage from Safari. I think the result of the Get Current Webpage from Safari is a URL eg. https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/mac-apps.2/.
Yeah, that's what I tried first. I've tried all sorts of variations with Get Contents. I also tried 'get article' from safari, etc. Nothing works to get the 'body', or 'text, and send it to a new note. It LOOKS like it should work, but I just get errors like the one previously mentioned, or one that says Please specify some text in the Create Note action. I can't figure out why. I've tried several different methods to get the 'body' or get the 'text' from the page and nothing works. As of now I have to manually cop the text, and then I can use a command to create a note from the copied text in clipboard. But I can't get MacOS to 'copy' or get the 'text'/'body' from the 'page', 'url', 'safari reader,' etc. I read somewhere that these features (the ability to 'get safari reader', 'get page content', etc) have basically been broken in Monterey, and that Apple hasn't really addressed it at all.

Remox

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2020
Hello,

I tried your shortcut, it works, I get the whole page but without formatting and the images are transformed into html tags.

I would like to get the content (text and image) and formatting in the same way as the Safari reader.
So I spent several hours to create the shortcut but I can't do it on iOS and macOS. Either it's slow or I get the error "Safari Reader is unavailable.

I also tried the "Attach an article to a note" shortcut in the shortcup library but it doesn't work.

Do you have an idea?

Thanks !

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Do you have an idea?
I don’t use Shortcuts on macOS, that was my first attempt :)
If you want images, probably you should use “Make rich text from” or “Make PDF from” instead of “Get text from”

Remox

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2020
Hello,

I would like to get the content (text and image) and formatting in the same way as the Safari reader.
So I spent several hours to create the shortcut but I can't do it on iOS and macOS. Either it's slow or I get the error "Safari Reader is unavailable.

I also tried the "Attach an article to a note" shortcut in the shortcup library but it doesn't work, I have the error "Safari Reader is unavailable".

Do you have a shortcut to get the web page in article view to a Apple Notes ? In my dream, I would like the same working as the Notion Clipper but for Notes 😁.

PDF isn't appropriate for me, I want to be able to update the text.

Thanks !

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
In my inexperienced opinion with Shortcuts, Get Article seems to be completely broken on macOS.

It may be because Safari Reader uses JavaScript and running it from Shortcuts needs additional permissions.

Someone that knows JavaScript might be able to provide a solution with Run JavaScript on Active Safari Tab.

I can offer a silly solution that works, automating copy-paste :)

AppleScript:
Code:
tell application "Safari" to activate
tell application "System Events"
    keystroke "r" using {command down, shift down}
    delay 0.5
    keystroke "a" using command down
    delay 0.5
    keystroke "c" using command down
    delay 0.5
    keystroke "r" using {command down, shift down}
    delay 0.5
end tell
tell application "Notes" to activate
delay 0.5
tell application "System Events"
    keystroke "n" using command down
    delay 0.5
    keystroke "v" using command down
end tell

siriactionsd needs to have Accessibility permission, it’s requested at first run or can be mannualy added
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/VoiceShortcuts.framework/Versions/A/Support/siriactionsd

Pressing ⌥⌘X in Safari triggers the shortcut
NewNote.jpg
siriactionsd.jpg

Remox

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2020
Oh thanks for your help ! :) I'll try that ! But It works on iOS as well ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.